Discuss Soap suds prevent new shower tray training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ade

Hi I have just had my bathroom extended and a shower enclosure fitted. A 'rapid flow' drain/trap has approx 2 metres of pipe where it joins the pipework of the original bath drain, then another metre or so to the outside wall. The gradient of the drop seems fine. All is ok until shampoo or soap is used at which point the suds collect around the drain and the vortex swirl that was taking the water away stops. The water backs up a bit due to the decreased swirl and when the shower is switched off I'm left with suds around the drain and a scum in the surrounding shower tray.
If I disperse the suds during the shower the vortex resumes and all is ok.

The bathroom shop says the drain and trap are their standard issue and would cost around £40 if bought separately. The drain contains a sort of barrel trap that can be removed for ease of cleaning. The plumber says the drop in the pipework should be sufficient for it to drain ok.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might solve this? Unfortunately the floor has been tiled but I do have access to the shower/bath drain join.
Many thanks
Ade

Could you post a picture of the trap? And I hate to say it but you have said you have no access why? It should be? If not very poor planning and not within water regs.

your shower tray and bath waste pipes should not be connected!! lets say the the waste pipe gets blocked goin into the stack, the only place it can go is back up the pipe into your shower tray & over your floor.

if your shower tray is one of those thin ones you'll prob need an 90mm outlet trap if your shower is pumped you'll defently need an 90mm trap- outlet, a standard trap on one of these tray with an eletrick shower should be fine, hope this helps abit

cheers:)

Update- when I switched on the shower this morning it immediately backed up severely even before soap used. The slightest use of a plunger solves it and generates a strong vortex (the kind I'd like) for a couple of minutes before it returns to the original problem I oulined. Perhaps this provides a clue?
Thanks
Ade

This is done but its not good practise if no one has thought how access to trap if there is a problem. Has this shoer tray ever allowed the flow of water away? In situations like this it would have been a good idea for a non return to be put in the waste. And for planning a access in the floor with a tile on top that could be removed should a problem occur.

Hi. The dynamics of foam is far more complex than that of water, and may well be acting as a plug suspended by air, held together by the detergent. Why not use a soap that produces less? Good Luck

Hmm!

Another point to consider is if you have got an Air Admittance Valve fitted instead of an open vent. It may be back pressure. But could also be caused by partial blockage or use of none swept tees if the waste is teed in with the bath, which it should not be really.

i had the same prob i removed the insert to the trap and all was well

am I right in thinking you mean the tubular insert screwed onto the cover plate which extends down into the body of the "trap" ?? .. if so and you remove this there is no water seal!!

I was supplied one of these some years back and took one look at it and chucked it out .. anything that relies on an easily removable part to maintain a water seal should be banned.

am I right in thinking you mean the tubular insert screwed onto the cover plate which extends down into the body of the "trap" ?? .. if so and you remove this there is no water seal!!

I was supplied one of these some years back and took one look at it and chucked it out .. anything that relies on an easily removable part to maintain a water seal should be banned.
you know a better way to make a trap cleanable without unsightly hatches in ceilings etc?

Hi thanks for the suggestions. I've tried a few things but now understand the problem a bit better, it's not the soap. The shower backs up anyway and the soap just makes it worse. If I fill the bath and let it drain then the shower problem disappears for as long as the bath is draining. Slightest use of the plunger clears the problem for a few minutes. Is this something to do with air pressure and if so is there a workaround?
thanks again
Ade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soap suds prevent new shower tray training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Replies
Views
djboyd
D
K
Replies
Views
easyt
E
M