Search the forum,

Discuss Shower going cold help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RAW85

Hi

Went to a job today where the lady said the shower coming off her bath taps goes very hot or freezing cold.
The taps are brand new as is the shower hose and head, she has a combi boiler.
I ran the shower and didn't notice the change.
Under the bath is like a spaghetti junction, way too many unnecessary fittings including a jammed stopcock on the hot.

My first thought was the thermostatic valve in the tap but they taps are new but very cheap ones. Could the the fittings cause this?

Two other guys have been out and where unsure how to fix the problem. I'm determined to sort as it's a mate's girlfriend.

Any ideas would be a great help. Cheers and thanks.

You need to establish if the boiler is staying on when it goes cold. If not then it's a boiler fault. If the boiler stays fired up then it's probably a fault with the taps. No the fittings won't effect the temperature.

Thanks for the replies.

It's a combi. She said the boiler has been checked out for this problem and is fine.
All other taps are fine, including the bath it's just the shower from the bath taps that goes hot or cold.

Does the new shower/taps have small bore flexi fittings? I wonder if restricted flow is causing the boiler to cut out?

Does the new shower/taps have small bore flexi fittings? I wonder if restricted flow is causing the boiler to cut out?

Nope, normal flexi with 15mm connections. I was wondering the same with all the fittings and jammed stopcock (could be half closed). When the mixer is fully turn to hot is was quiet a bit slower then the cold.

Hot always will be slower then cold as it'll be restricted going through the heat exchanger etc. You could cut out some of the fittings and defunct stopcock anyway.

Hot always will be slower then cold as it'll be restricted going through the heat exchanger etc. You could cut out some of the fittings and defunct stopcock anyway.

Cheers - I'd say the hot is slower then normal, I'm planning of removing all the terrible craftsmanship under there to start with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Raw , it depends aswell what type of tap that she has , if its like the mira BSM which is a thermostatic bath shower mixer then you could look at the tap but if its just a standard mixer tap with a shower hose then it wont be the tap and more so the boiler, what type of tap / shower is it ?

I would make sure the boiler is staying on before cutting out all the pipe work. I suppose if it's restricted that much it won't activate the boiler flow switch but it's unlikely.
the customer won't care what the pipe work looks like under the bath and won't thank you for tidying it up if it doesn't fix the fault. They will just want the problem fixed. It does sound like the tap is the problem if all other outlets are okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower going cold help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

i can't tell if my shower tap (cock stop) is leaking or not ...............so after showering, the shower head will drip fast for 2 hours, then drip slowly after that...........i put a bucket under the shower head to collect the water for 26 hours the first time.............then 19 hours the...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon. Just wondering if it would be fine to connect an electric shower to the balanced cold supply from an unvented cylinder. Replacing an old Bath mixer tap with the shower hose built into it. Regards
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock