Discuss Replacing lead water main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daved2424

Hello

I wish to replace my lead water main. I only require a short trench and a short run under the floor, so that bit is easy. The hard bit is where it meets the foundations.

i have suspended timber floors and there is no way I can enter the property at 750mm below and then go up through the concrete floor as the regulations require. Are there any alternatives available to me where can I enter the building at a higher height?

many thanks

use a bit of common sense on this one and drill your hole as deep as possible, duct the pipe through the wall and use some decent quality insulation on it to stop it freezing, as the only reason its buried 750-1350mm deep is to stop it freezng and protect the pipe. If you can achieve that at a shallower depth, the water company wont complain.

Forgive my ignorance, but what should I aim for depth wise? What should I insulate with?

insulation has to be classed as fit for purpose. i just paid 35 quid for a 2 metre length. they have you by the whatsits because if it is not the correct one the water board wont make the connection.

also min depth of 750mm, trench has to be bedded in sand or soft earth.
pipe has to be sleeved in 110mm soil pipe. this has to be sealed around the mdpe pipe both internally and externally.

you can give notice and send in post cards to book trenchc inspection etc, most inspectors will use common sense approach as well.

Thank you for your help. My biggest problem looks like it's going to be excavating down through the floor inside - I think it might just be easier to get someone in for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing lead water main in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an old toilet on the top floor (to be removed) which empties into an outdoor vertical SVP and into the ground. The pipe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back