Search the forum,

Discuss Rad Drain issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Livvid

House 7 rads upstairs 7 downstairs.
Cannot drain downstairs rads for some reason.
All work as per normal, wanted to replace one rad for a larger but cannot simply replace as the rad valve broken, anyway thats besides the point, why can I not get the downstairs to bleed. I have opened all the valves upstairs and induced air as normal, added a drainplug into the lowest part of the system but water from this stops and when you go to bleed valves in any downstairs rad and they still leak water, and so are full still.
I tried bungs in the F&E at first so that I could try the vacuum approach to the rad removal but that didnt work, so removed and allowed to vent naturally, but still no joy in the downstairs rads. Any advice cause and remedy. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
how are the rads piped? are the pipes coming out of the walls or down the walls?

Downstairs radiators are often fed from the landing. So you'll be able to empty one or two when draining the system but you usually have to drain each one individually.

All the tails are from the floor.The boiler is in the kitchen and on the floor, which was the only drain option, I added a drain valve in the lowest rad feed in the toilet which pipework was in the garage, its definitely the lowest part in the system.
Stumped, rad valve snapped and locked open in the one I wanted to change, but why wont the damn thing drain.

is it a concrete floor or a suspended floor you may have to lift some boards to find a drain off. Also have a look around the property at ground level for some sort of access hatch it may contain a drain off, you can find them on bungalows somtimes when pipework is all under floor

Some places have drain offs situated coming out of the external walls.

Done job today, cracked hallway radiator and bled rest from there, worked a treat. Still a mystery why it wouldnt drain but job now done, phew. Thamks guys for all advice given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad Drain issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock