Search the forum,

Discuss Pressure relief discharge pipe - inadequate piping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foodface

Just been to do a load of gas safety checks on a block of flats, asides from having to I.D and disconnect a fire I came across another issue. I noticed that the pipe on the pressure relief valves, from the boilers I looked at were not quite right. Instead of exiting the property with two elbows, and pipework pointing towards the wall; they had a 22 mm stop end soldered onto the end of a straight piece of 15mm, leaving only a small gap for any potential pressure to be released from. I've highlighted this to the landlord and told him that it needs putting right. Has anyone come across this before, cos the landlord was insinuating I was wrong and tried to get the installer on the phone while I was there.

there are a lot of different designs of terminals for dischare pipes and most seem to be quite small openings i assume the cap is soldered at one point only
to be honest i wouldnt have worried about them as they fulfill the need to stop the water shooting straight out directing it back to the wall is the object

Yeah they are soldered at one point, but only leave a very small gap for the water to discharge from. Guess my point is what happens if they get blocked up cos' the gap is tiny, where as if they were done in the more typical way they would have more clearance in terms of pipe diameter and less likely to get blocked.

you can get a tidy little mushroom ef fitting now to finish the prv outlet tidily, v small holes works ok

It is an easy way to do the prv from inside when it is hard to get access up to them. Nothing wrong with it.
The internal area of 15mm table x is 145.29mm3. The internal are of a 22mm cap end is 380.18mm3 (2.6 times greater)
It should be done like this. untitled1.JPG

OK cleared that one up then, just seemed a bit odd but I shall take your responses and rescind my advise to the customer.

Thanks.

Just been to do a load of gas safety checks on a block of flats, asides from having to I.D and disconnect a fire I came across another issue. I noticed that the pipe on the pressure relief valves, from the boilers I looked at were not quite right. Instead of exiting the property with two elbows, and pipework pointing towards the wall; they had a 22 mm stop end soldered onto the end of a straight piece of 15mm, leaving only a small gap for any potential pressure to be released from. I've highlighted this to the landlord and told him that it needs putting right. Has anyone come across this before, cos the landlord was insinuating I was wrong and tried to get the installer on the phone while I was there.
different strokes for different folk alls well in my eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure relief discharge pipe - inadequate piping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with my current situation. We bought a new build and after getting my boiler and unvented cylinder serviced my plumber raised the fact that he estimates the D2 discharge pipe to have a resistance flow length on 12m and as it's 22mm copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Two connected houses in our 70s condo development, everyone served by one water meter at the road. 833 has 40 lbs of pressure while attached house 835 has over 100 lbs. -- no problems in either house or immediately outside -- and no pressure relief valves or shutoffs. Plumber traced the...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
P
Hi. I have a hot water high pressure problem that my heating engineer (and other engineers that he has spoken to) cannot fix. I’m hoping someone on the forum can explain what is happening and how to resolve it. My hot water system uses an air bubble at the top of the hot water tank for...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock