Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinder Discharge pipe not to regs in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with my current situation. We bought a new build and after getting my boiler and unvented cylinder serviced my plumber raised the fact that he estimates the D2 discharge pipe to have a resistance flow length on 12m and as it's 22mm copper pipe this is not to code, it should be 28mm.
I contacted the developer who passed me straight to the plumber contractor who installed the system and after chasing the developer I finally heard from the plumber after a week.
They tells me that everything was signed off pre plaster and they'll be a certificate to prove this but mistakes can happen and he can't be sure on the length of the pipe without visiting the property and pulling up the floor to visually inspect the pipe.
Then comes the lies, he said machine bends don't deduct from the resistance flow as they are the same diameter compared to elbow bends that narrow even though G3 regs refers to elbows and bends.
He said they may have used 28mm under the floor even though the visible pipe at the tundish and exit are 22mm, and you can't use 28mm behind dot and dab as it's too big.
They want to be able to put this right but this will mean pulling up floors or putting holes in the ceiling and ripping part of a wall out.
I'm yet to get a response from the developer and I'm not sure how to proceed, should I be contacting the NHBC or some kind of building regulator to report this? There are also other houses of the same design on the estate that are no doubt also affected. We've had no end of troubles with the developer I'm fed up with dealing with thier contractors.
Any advice on how to proceed would be great as I'm just lost now. Thanks

Tbh I would let them rip it apart and let them put it right at there cost also I know it’s not the best but make them go through ceilings as floors are normally glued down so you will never get them back right again

He’s hoping you will say no and forget it

He is part right machine bends have less resistance than soldered bends 0.5m instead of 1m etc

I don't know I'm not G3 certified. Why have regulations if they aren't going to be followed?
They are guidelines and advice for pipe sizes. The idea is to calculate the size required (if need be) to avoid installing an undersized pipe in this case. If the pipe that you have is capable of taking the discharge when tested, then it is acceptable.
Easiest way is to either test it or get someone in to test it and see how it performs. It may be that there is no further action needed. You won't know until you test it. Proof of the pudding!

Reply to Unvented Cylinder Discharge pipe not to regs in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock