Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Promax 28 HE Plus problems, HELP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jennifer Paton

We had a Potterton Promax 28 HE Plus fitted in 2007 and until now havent had any problems with it.

Recently the pressure has kept dropping (more so overnight when the heating isnt on) so the boiler to display the E119 error message but will work fine when it gets topped up. We also are getting scalding hot water for about 5-10 seconds when we turn the hot water on. Our upstairs radiators havent been heating properly either.

British Gas sent an engineer (we have homecare 100) who fumbled about inside the boiler for a bit then replaced the pressure relief valve. The boiler worked for a few days, but the same kept happening again. We looked for leaks in the pipes but dont have any. The same engineer came out again and after more fumbling thought it might be the divertor valve. This part was ordered and the same guy visited a 3rd time, however instead of installing the whole valve, he just replaced the spring. He also fitted a new pump and air vent. this worked great until about 2 hours after the guy left when it went went off again. This time the pressure is fine. The problem seems to be with the firing. The central heating light is on in the boiler but it wont start the burner unless we turn the temp up full and even then it will only heat for about half an hour before the burner light goes off and the rads start to cool down. Occasionally the boiler makes a banging rattling noise. For a 4th time the same guy came out and said it was air in the boiler so poked about and left saying that was it working... but is it, hell no.
He phoned to see how it was working and my husband told him what was happening so he is now coming tomorrow and bringing his boss cos he doesnt know what is going on with it.

Anyone got any ideas so we can tell him how to fix it properly.

He also tried to flog us a magnaclean for £255 and a powerflush for an unknown amount. Once its sorted we r going to look about elsewhere for a new maintainence contract for the boiler because BG clearly dont have a clue.

sounds like it over heating now the important bit there are 2 diverter valves on this boiler, later ones by pass trough the plate heat exchanger if he has fitted the wrong repair kit this may explain the problem,however it could be unrelated and there may be a restriction some where in the boiler but it sounds like something bg may have done

sounds like it over heating now the important bit there are 2 diverter valves on this boiler, later ones by pass trough the plate heat exchanger if he has fitted the wrong repair kit this may explain the problem,however it could be unrelated and there may be a restriction some where in the boiler but it sounds like something bg may have done

Looking at the work sheet he left it says, replaced pump, 3 port valve and air vent. Could the boilers internal thermostat be faulty? What kind of restriction could the boiler have? The burner problem only started after the guy replace the 3 parts. I think the divertor valve was leaking onto the pump. Should he of replaced the whole valve instead of just a spring?

pump cant leak onto the diverter (diverter on lh side,pump on rh side)but the bush in the diverter can leak,the boilers internal stat(called a thermistor or ntc) could be at fault but your problems look more like circulation issues back to the parts replaced

What would cause circulation problems?
He has written on each work sheet ' advised on dirty system'
By reading other posts bg often turn round and say we told u ur system was dirty and needed a magnaclean and powerflush so ur cover is now null and void.
Surely a 3year old system cant be that clogged up already

There was steam coming out the top of it earlier while it was banging and rattling. We switched to hot water only and it was making a buzzing sound

A bit typical of any maintainance co i'm afraid. BG or others. A 3 yo boiler "should" not need a powerflush. They are brainwashed to sell things.
Without being in front of it to see what is actually happening it is hard to properly diagnose. Banging and rattling is usually a circulation/overheat thing.
The good thing is he is bringing his boss who will be a more learned and experienced guy so you hopefully will get it fixed.

The boss saw the problem within 5 minutes. The engineer had fitted the wrong pump but the original problem was the circut board. heres hoping that its sorted

The boilers been going well for a week now but this morning got out of bed to an icebox, the pressure was away again. Ive put it down to the cold weather. Plus the pipe that takes condensation outside was a bit icey, dont know if that would of had anything to do with it. should we phone them back or see what tomorrow brings??

Hi we too have the same boiler and same age and with pressure lossWould love to discuss this further with you but not on herfor reasons which I will explain

Did you get this fixed? I have the same problem. Was about to get the new valve and fit it, but then read all these posts with exactly the same issue. Mine only does it when its cold outside, however my boiler is in a reasonable well insulated environment.

The pressure has been ok since the last post I said it dropped. I'm not entirely convinced the boiler is working right cos sometimes it bangs and rattles and tho it says it's on and heating the house isn't wot you would call toasty. I'm going to start saving up for a better boiler. Hopefully it will last another few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Promax 28 HE Plus problems, HELP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock