Discuss Plastic overflow pipe in 70s building in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i live in a mid 70s built block of flats in London and ever since I've lived there have experienced the occasional leak through my bathroom ceiling.
After much effort and investigation, it would appear to be coming from an overflowing cistern two floors up. The plumber who visited thinks the communal overflow pipe down the main riser is blocked (or it may have been removed when someone refitted their bathrooms). The original configuration would appear to have been that bath and cistern overflows were connected to a communal overflow pipe. Now the majority of the bathrooms above have been refitted with modern cisterns and baths with internal overflows - but there are at least a couple that are old style.
I'm trying to identify the path of the original overflow - does anyone know whether in the 70s they would have used plastic overflow pipe or would it have been copper? There is certainly some plastic overflow pipe in the riser so I'm thinking that's probably original.
The best practical solution would be to try to get those bathrooms with old fittings upgraded to internal overflows but that obviously depends on the cooperation of other flat owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic overflow pipe in 70s building in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone. New to the forum and looking for assistance / advice. I live in a rented house with a not very co-operative landlord. I have just...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've got a leak coming from the loft into a bedroom which I think is caused by water overflow from feed and expansion cistern (see attached...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock