Search the forum,

Discuss Old Hunter soil pipe socket O-ring woes :( in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo.

Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of new grey PVC pipe and have a new McAlpine WC flex connector running into the short section of pipe.

Flushed a few buckets of water down last night, no drips, cracked open a beer to celebrate (jinxed it!). This morning when I ran my finger around I could see it had weeped very slightly at the bottom of the joint between new grey pvc pipe and the old socket. Seems to happen about 30 mins after flushing so maybe some standing water in the pipe slowly seeps back. Didn't actually drip though.

Would be a major pain to replace the socket as the stack runs up to the loft conversion.

Any ideas what I could do? Don't reckon I have a chance of finding an O-ring that fits. Would some CT1/OB1 work on such a slow leak? I know it's considered a bodge, I do want it to last though (at least 20 years)

Or is it possible to just remove the old O-ring from the socket and solvent weld a new section of pipe in? It's not virgin PVC inside even after cleaning thoroughly, there's a section of black discoloured plastic which would need something abrasive to get back to original grey plastic again.

Cheers
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_20231009_151444.jpg
    IMG_20231009_151444.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 17
Hello Rob,

Just a suggestion, do you have any silicone grease? If yes, remove the piece of soil pipe and smear a nice thick layer around the seal and refit. Worth a try?

Cheers Jim
Hi @Jim Goodenough
I do have some yes , I did give it a good smear already actually as it looked quite hard, it definitely helped but still had a very small weep.

Someone on another forum suggested marking the grey pipe with a pen around the insertion point and then applying a good bead of hybrid silicone adhesive (e.g. CT1) just before the line, then when inserting again the excess will squidge out and can be worked over with a finger.

I've seen in the promotional video that stuff dries almost like a flexible rubber so should become like a custom O-ring, was going to give that a try.

Thanks
Rob

Reply to Old Hunter soil pipe socket O-ring woes :( in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock