Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic drain pipe screwed access plug removal in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My house (built in the 1980s) has number of solvent welded screwed access plugs to clean the drain pipes in the bathroom, kitchen etc.
They are similar to the polypipe one shown below but have a lower profile cross shaped grip which makes them difficult to remove and refit.
Is there a special tool available to remove them without damage?
They are usually too tight to unscrew by hand. Adjustable grips tend to chew up the plug.
I thought about making something from a 40mm wooden dowel with a couple of saw cuts in the end in the shape of a cross.

1618818763057.png

There isn't a special tool as far as I'm aware. Have you thought of putting a little silicone grease on the lower part when you do them up (but obvs keep it off the part you grip.) Would keep them from binding. Large (300 mm+) pump pliers on the rim to loosen.

Any reason why your removing the caps ?

I suspect they are similar to the head of the brass trap access plugs. A case of changing the material but not yet the design?

With four little nibs like on these traps?

1618906552072.png
1618906703307.png

Reply to Plastic drain pipe screwed access plug removal in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm retiling my bathroom, and so everything in this photo minus the copper pipes must be removed. Anyone familiar with these screw fittings that go over the pipes? They have filed down areas to get an adjustable spanner in there to turn them, but when I grip the copper pipe and the screw...
Replies
Views
Trying to connect up new 40mm waste into the old soil stack (which would be an absolute pain to remove), it's all Osma pipe, from the 70s. Pulled out the old waste from the boss and discovered the seal is pretty knackered, hardened and cracked everywhere (red coloured seal in the photo)...
Replies
Views
Hi An idiot Bathroom fitter has cut down a soil pipe and fitted an AAV valve, then placed a built in bathroom cabinet with the soil pipe in the corner unit making the only easy way to access anywhere near the soil pipe by reaching up from where the kicker board goes. You can see from the photo...
Replies
Views
I'm trying to pull a Polypipe SA62B access plug and cap out of the soil vent branch (which I think is a Floplast SP190). It's a bit of a cramped space and it feels VERY stuck. Any suggestions? I'm removing it so I can fit a pan connector. Three years ago my contractors installed my new SVP...
Replies
Views
N
Hi, a plumber has been out to my rental property as my tenant reported a blockage causing water to flow back from the washing machine into the dish washer. Both were disconnected and their drainage hoses cleared out but the plumber advises that there is more of a blockage further down the waste...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock