Search the forum,

Discuss New Internal stopcock because of new water supply, quick question about the existing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

loziv

Hi

We are having a new water main fitted to replace our old line which had poor flow.

However the new entry point of where the new main enters the house is in a different location to where the existing stopcock is.

The new line is coming up through the wall of the kitchen using a insuduct and will be connecting into the pipework under the kitchen sink.

My question is what will they/should they do to the existing internal stopcock, which is in a different hard to reach location

Disconnect the old supply, and plug where the old rising main comes through the floor? What about the copper pipework that the stopcock went into that supplied the cold water through the property?

Re: New Internal stopcock because of new water supply, quick question about the exis

They will cap any redundant pipe work leaving the absolute minimum "dead" legs.

Re: New Internal stopcock because of new water supply, quick question about the exis

thanks but what does "dead legs" mean?

Is what they are doing sound ok?

Would it be possible to have no dead legs, just been reading about this on HSE website

Could they just join the old copper above the old stopcock to another cold pipe rather than just blanking it off creating a dead end?

TBH without actually being on site it's very hard to say, yes they could alter the pipework but then where donyou draw the line with regards to scope of work.

Speak to the guys on site and see what they advise m

Just read that where possible dead legs should be avoided and use of serial or loops should be used instead?

If the only option is a dead leg is should not be longer than twice the diameter of the pipe

They don't need to get to the "Hard to reach" old stopcock.
All they need to access it the the first point that the old incoming pipework forms a "T" junction and eliminate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Internal stopcock because of new water supply, quick question about the existing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat. My flat kitchen and bathroom was always on mains supply (no tank supply at all) and the rest of the 5 flats were mains supply to kitchen and water...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
I cannot isolate my toilet water supply for a quick-fix, as the valve/tap is buried beneath tiling by whoever built the place. All other taps in the flat just isolate the kitchen. Is the green switch next to my water meter in this blurry photo a stopcock? It is underwater because there seems...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I currently have an external water meter (which is a sub-meter) of my neighbours meter. The mains supply runs into their garden and then splits off into my sub-meter. We are planning on building an extension near to the existing external sub-meter and I have sought advice from Yorkshire...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock