Discuss Macerator advice for newbie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

That’s good.

I think you just need a fitter with more experience/ ability to think outside the box to suss this out for you.

Really, don’t go with a macerator.

Where are you located?
Thanks, I’m starting to understand that there are better options to having a macerator. I’m in South Wales.

Thanks, I’m starting to understand that there are better options to having a macerator. I’m in South Wales.
Yes Lucy ..a gravity system properly designed and installed will always beat a macerator, people do install them because they Really have no other option ..you do, re post with a diagram and we will help you get it right...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Finally.... a

C6B1A9F7-1486-4B0F-9919-6EA495EC2A53.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I am really grateful. I have posted a diagram of my ideal set up for my bathroom including dimensions and some details.
I have already purchased the suite so I would really like to make this layout work if at all possible.

Is it possible for the internal soil pipe to run as diagrammed in my picture (blue line)? It would be almost a 3m pipe with 3 bends. Is this possible to do without the risk of blockages?
Also, is there a standard ratio of fall that I would need to have? How would I work out how much to raise the toilet or lower the waste outlet?

Many, many thanks!

CF2F31E3-E33A-44C5-A064-AA0C8F3395C1.jpeg

Are you doing this install ?
No, I know little to nothing about plumbing. But I want to get as much advice and information as I can because I don’t like being clueless about these things. The best quote I received for doing the job was from the person who advised the macerator. Feel like I am going round in circles

Is your house brick, or painted?
On the pavement or set-back?

So many things to consider, without being there it is a bit hard to advise properly.

If painted, paint all the pipework and it will not be too noticeable?

In answer to your question, the fall on soil pipe should be 18mm per metre .

(ok ok it can be more, upto 80/90mm - but for these purposes use 18mm/m)

Is your house brick, or painted?
On the pavement or set-back?

So many things to consider, without being there it is a bit hard to advise properly.

If painted, paint all the pipework and it will not be too noticeable?
It is rendered and set back from the road. However, I want to avoid having a pipe running across the front if at all possible.

I would rather have a macerator inside than have a soil pipe running straight across the front of the house.

Any reason why it can't be run this way? Where the pipe exits the wall under the bath, run it as low to the floor as possible then it will have a good fall from the toilet. 1 external 90° bend towards the stack and then tee in. Or am I missing something.

Also the measurement for your bath is 1150 but the opening is 1050. Are you sure the bath will fit.

20190609_164444.jpg

Ok.
Do you have any idea of what it is like to live with a macerator?

I'm out.

Don't forget the noise, especially when you have a dripping tap or little bit of internal overflow and it kicks in every hour or 2 - especially enjoyable overnight I gather from customers... :eek:

Don't forget the noise, especially when you have a dripping tap or little bit of internal overflow and it kicks in every hour or 2 - especially enjoyable overnight I gather from customers... :eek:
Toilet only so no taps connected and consider the pump activating from an internal overflow as a warning alarm to get it fixed before the next metred water bill arrives. ;)

I consider that Lucy has had all the current available info from us re macerators. We have little to add now SHE needs to make a decision of her own based on the best unbiased advice available in UK
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I consider that Lucy has had all the current available info from us re macerators. We have little to add now SHE needs to make a decision of her own based on the best unbiased advice available in UK
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Don`t think anybody has covered how to reduce the sound level when it is operating. :(

Thanks to you all. You’ve been incredibly informative and given me a lot to think about. I hadn’t realised that macerators were such troublesome things to have, but judging by the comments and suggestions, I will certainly heed your warnings and avoid having one if at all possible!

Perhaps I need to go back to the plumber with a few alternative solutions (thanks to yourselves) and come up with a better plan.

Reply to Macerator advice for newbie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys I am at the design stage of having a En-Suite built and have an issue that I cannot seem to resolve. For long and complex reasons I have...
Replies
Views
In my last posting, I requested assistance in exchanging a waste that had been fitted using silicone, without actually removing the basin. Mission...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're in the process of upgrading 2 bathrooms in our house: the ensuite and the family bathroom. These adjoin one another. The ensuite is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys first post. I am in the process of rejuvenating a double wash sink. It was needing the waste below looked at for a washing machine and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, have a leak in landing from upstairs bathroom. This only happens when sink taps are on, not shower or toilet . Think it is a boss...
Replies
Views
Back