Discuss Legal to install own power shower? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

typer_owner

Hi been told if you dont get a regsiterd plumber and something goes wrong you could face jail.. is this correct or could i install a shower on my own? or with help as i no someone whoes done one before

As far as I know, the only thing you'll go to jail for is tampering with Gas.

Hi been told if you dont get a regsiterd plumber and something goes wrong you could face jail.. is this correct or could i install a shower on my own? or with help as i no someone whoes done one before
If its an electric shower you need to get someone in as they need to run seperate circuit for shower and certain breaker/cable size etc.Check pressure and flow.You can be fined £5000 for each fault and £50 per day until rectified(I think I read this in my Part P course notes.
If fitting a non electric shower you have to think about pressure and flow tolerances for the unit and where the BALANCED supply is coming from.You will also have to think about backflow prevention (NRV's).
Good Luck.

As far as I know, the only thing you'll go to jail for is tampering with Gas.
Or tampering with your taxes.:D:D:D

Last edited:
It's for an electric shower, and it's a registered electrician you need (or a plumber who is Part P Electrical qualified and belongs to a competent persons scheme).

As a plumber I always work in conjunction with a mate who is an electrician. I install the pipework and mount the unit on the wall and my work stops there.

If you do an electric shower yourself and are unqualified, you won't end up in jail unless someone gets electrocuted or your work causes a fault or fire etc. If anything goes wrong any insurance cover you have will be invalid and if you come to sell the house you may run into problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Legal to install own power shower? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hello, I am converting a house into 11 flats run by electric only. Each flat will have a kitchen and a mini electric boiler to power the sink...
Replies
Views
G
Recently we had reason to replace our boiler. It was on the blink and you could only con it into coming on by first turning on the hot water and...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I hope someone can advise on this problem that is annoying me more and more. I live in a 1900s mid terraced property. My water...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock