Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking joint on hot water outlet pipe of unvented water heater in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello All, I've got a small leak where the pipe of the hot water outlet of an unvented water heater joins the valve. I'm attaching a couple of photos to give an idea of the set up. Is there a good solution that doesn't involve resoldering the joint? Many thanks.
IMG-20200329-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20200329-WA0008.jpeg

Thank you very much! I've just given it a go, but stopped as the whole valve assembly started to turn. It looks like originally some light brown paste had been put on the nut thread, I can just about see it on the side I need to tighten, and it's more visible on the opposite side. I hope if I move the valve I won't break that seal and get a bigger leak...
Anyways, I'll try again but this time with some way to hold the valve in place. In any case the leaking is minimal. Thank you again for the advice.

As you have found out, the valve body needs to be held firm when tightening the nut. It's a pity you weren't told that first time round.

Hold the valve body firm using a pair of pump pliers (grips) or similar, if you don't have those you can use an adjustable spanner, or a correctly sized open end spanner or wrench to hold the body in place. You might need to experiment a bit to find the best way to restrain the valve body. Do the nut up clockwise and just nip them up tight, they probably will only move a few degrees but have a good chance to stop the leak.

Why can’t it be there ?

Thats is why we are all different bud what one of us would do the other may not, I just prefer to use lever full bore valves on my installs and only stop cocks on a cold mains each to their own . Kop😁

Reply to Leaking joint on hot water outlet pipe of unvented water heater in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, I've got a brand new (2nd hand) Bosch Hydropower 16H tankless hot water heater. Since it was installed I have noticed it leaks a lot. I took the cover off and it looks like the bottom part (water section?) is leaking in a couple of places. maybe a seal or diaphragm? Can it be repaired or...
Replies
Views
hi all, i need help to fix the leak from a pipe connected to the water pump via flexi pipe and it is feed from the immersion heater. I have emptied the water tank in the loft and also closed the main stopcock. still the leak is on - hoping it will eventually stop. I have not idea how the...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a condensate pipe that appears to be leaking at the joint. How do I fix the leak? Would something like plumbers putty around the joint work or does it need to be some other compound? Can I simply pull the pipe and joint out and then put the compound round it Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m having issues with cold water to multiple outlets. Taps, showers, toilets cold water is fine at the kitchen sink. The hot water system is a Glenhill unvented cylinder. Hot water is fine at all outlets. I assumed the cold outlets not working were from the balanced cold from the...
Replies
Views
Z
I'm trying to remove the zone valve ion vented tank and the tank started leaking around the joint. I was hoping to just run the tank with immersion till I can get an unvented. Any tips to stop leaks or do you think I need to buy temporary tank. Any help appreciated as I'm without hot water now.
Replies
Views
zacwithleak
Z
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock