Discuss How to do wiped joint in lead waste pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danfoto

I'm just old enough to remember watching an old boy replace a lead trap on a lead kitchen sink waste with a new lead trap and was trying to explain the procedure to The Lady Wife. Two problems though - I can't remember exactly how wiped joints were done, and neither can I remember what the material (cloth) was with which they were wiped.

There doesn't seem to be anything on YouTube, so does anybody know of a video online showing the process, or else something like step-by-step diagrams?

Cheers ecowarm. Moleskin's the stuff which has a short pile on one side isn't it? Like what some old boys out in the sticks use to have trousers made of?

And well done with that video. I mush have been using all the wrong search terms :(

Last edited by a moderator:
We used tallow as a kind of flux a shave hook for cleaning the pipe, a turnpin for opening the end of pipe and I used to have a double ended clamp for holding the pipes in different angles but can't remember if it had a special name, must have inhalled to many lead fumes

Hmm! Yes ecowarm is about right we did the same.

The thing with waste pipes though was that the lead was very thin and required you to have good heat control i.e not playing the blowlamp on the job to long or you burnt holes in the pipe. You could use either standard wiped joints or finger joints. Usually you aimed to tin the pipe and the trap first then solder them together. I suppose its one of those jobs your better showing how to do than explaining.

the finger joints you refer to were called scotch or welch joints round here. I hope that is not racist in any way, im talking over 30yrs ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to do wiped joint in lead waste pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I have been on the phone to the Gas Safe Register, who have pointed me a bit in the right direction looking for certain information. I am in a...
Replies
Views
Some pictures first to illustrate my Question (I understand as new poster I can't yet put them in direct). Outside picture: Photo by Roy_6666...
Replies
Views
J
First post... here goes: We've acquired a second hand but lovely old sink which I've been tasked with plumbing in. The existing waste (plug/hole)...
Replies
Views
M
I'm reading more and more threads where plumbers and heating engineers have never heard of techniques or never come across certain materials or...
Replies
Views
Mike Jackson
M
P
Hi, fixing a copper pipe to lead pipe involves a 'wiped joint'. But how do you do a wiped joint properly? thanks.
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock