Search the forum,

Discuss How to do wiped joint in lead waste pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danfoto

I'm just old enough to remember watching an old boy replace a lead trap on a lead kitchen sink waste with a new lead trap and was trying to explain the procedure to The Lady Wife. Two problems though - I can't remember exactly how wiped joints were done, and neither can I remember what the material (cloth) was with which they were wiped.

There doesn't seem to be anything on YouTube, so does anybody know of a video online showing the process, or else something like step-by-step diagrams?

Cheers ecowarm. Moleskin's the stuff which has a short pile on one side isn't it? Like what some old boys out in the sticks use to have trousers made of?

And well done with that video. I mush have been using all the wrong search terms :(

Last edited by a moderator:
We used tallow as a kind of flux a shave hook for cleaning the pipe, a turnpin for opening the end of pipe and I used to have a double ended clamp for holding the pipes in different angles but can't remember if it had a special name, must have inhalled to many lead fumes

Hmm! Yes ecowarm is about right we did the same.

The thing with waste pipes though was that the lead was very thin and required you to have good heat control i.e not playing the blowlamp on the job to long or you burnt holes in the pipe. You could use either standard wiped joints or finger joints. Usually you aimed to tin the pipe and the trap first then solder them together. I suppose its one of those jobs your better showing how to do than explaining.

the finger joints you refer to were called scotch or welch joints round here. I hope that is not racist in any way, im talking over 30yrs ago

Similar to the joint used by gas board, when connecting tails/unions to gas meter. But a little more robust.

Used to use a Pudlock to hold the pipes in position so that the joint could be wipped, tallow (refined Lard), mole skin (Tick cotton pad soaked with tallow), Plumbers metal (silver and lead stick) and if you wanted to be really smart plumbers black (paint) to keep the ends of the joint neat.

and if you wanted to be really smart plumbers black (paint) to keep the ends of the joint neat.

So that was to stop the solder spreading i.e. worked in the opposite way to the flux?

Any idea what plumbers black was/is?

It was a bit like blackboard paint, used to mix it from powder or paste with water.

It was a bit like blackboard paint, used to mix it from powder or paste with water.

It was also a apprentice initiation tool,the older plumbers would whip down ya trousers and paint your balls and willy with it,could not get it off for weeks !!!:eek::eek:

Hmm very disturbing.... presume whether it happened depended whether the older plumbers in question were pervs or not!

Is Big brother changing the name "Plumber" to "Plastics"?

I think most in the industry went from being plumbers (Lead Worker) to cuprumers (Copper Worker), Don,t think there will be a latin word for plastic.

Perfectly legal to make a wiped lead joint as long as it isn't in a potable water system.

I wonder what the H&Safety would have to say regarding wiped joints in to days world. Burning myself on a daily basis whilst "Trying"to learning the skill
has turned into a waste of time. Although not the preferred method, has come in handy over the years and saved a few folk replumbing the whole house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to do wiped joint in lead waste pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock