Search the forum,

Discuss Hot water cylinder spec? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew 03

Hi Folks,
I've got a leaking cylinder. It is gravity fed. Do i need the heat exchanger to be 28mm?? If yes, are they easy to get hold off? I understand screwfix cylinders are for pump fed systems only - i assume this is becuase the heat exhchangers are narrower pipe?

I'm still trying to find where exactly the leak is - it's around the cold water inlet, but the insulation makes it difficult to find, and i don't want to investigate too much until i've time to sort it out completely.

Many thanks
Andrew

THanks for the suggestion, but i'm curious what tanks needed - and can't find the info on the web. A friend has told me i need a 28mm heat exchanger, and these aren't common. I'm thinking if they are expensive, is it a good reason to change to a pumped system which an ordinary cylinder would be fine for, and would probaly be a better system than gravity fed - or can i get a cheap quick replacement cylinder that works on gravity fed?
Cheers
Andrew

Gravity hot water just requires 28mm pipe going to the cylinder, which you would already have i assume, any indirect copper cylinder will do.

The plumber you use will have the necessary 28mm fittings, changing to a fully pumped system would be better, but cost quite a bit more cash.

Re: Hot water cylinder spec

I have a similar problem.Pumped systems appear to have a 22mm coil, which i am advised by RM Cylinders tech. dept. will result in air locks if used with a gravity system.I believe that you are correct that you need a 28mm coil.I hope to source one too.Any help appreciated.

you also need to pick the correct grade of cylinder, grade 1, 2 or 3 depends on the head of pressure between the tank in loft and the cylinder, grade 3 is the weakest (for the shortest height)

Change to pumped system - far more efficient.

Otherwise your cylinder must be for gravity systems and stated as such (the majority aren't). I have seen so called professional plumbers fit cylinders unsuitable for gravity onto gravity systems so beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water cylinder spec? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock