Discuss Help please - Rads dont heat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Naj

The problem: when I turn the heating on, only if the upstairs rads are turned down from full heat to medium heat do the 3 out of the 5 main downstairs rads eventually heat up and thats after the heating is on for 55 mins (the final problem rad heats up after 55mins, the other two after about 40mins)!! Even then these 3 downstairs rads produce medium heat and not full heat (i can leave my hand on the rads for at least two seconds). The other 2 downstairs rads heat fully regardless of whether the upstairs rads are on full or medium. If the upstairs rads are on full heat, the 3 problem rads downstairs dont heat. When I say 'full heat' I mean the TRV's are on full and not turned down.

The upstairs rads do take about 15-20 mins to heat up fully from turning the heating on.

I had the old cylinder system in a large three bedroom terraced house which has 5 rads downstairs and 5 rads upstairs and one bathroom upstairs. 3 of the rads downstairs would not heat up when I moved in. Had these rads removed and cleaned which did not solve the problem. I then had the 3 rads replaced. Still did not make a difference. Corgi Registered engineer assured me a power flush would solve the problem. He attempted this but the boiler stopped working. So the boiler was replaced with a valiant 831 eco tec and the old cylinder system removed. The engineer came highly recommended. I now have the combi system. The engineer stated the 'sealed' system will operate better then the cyclinder system and there shall be an improvement in the system. When the boiler was replaced he power flushed the system. The above problem was still generally prevalent after the new bolier was installed but there was some improvement compared to before (the upstairs rads heat up fully now). He performed a second powerflush two weeks later for free to help solve the downstairs problem. The problem is still there. He now states he does not know what to do and is open to suggestions. He is suggesting a third and final power flush But i think will give up after this if the problem is not resolved. Do i rip out the laminate flooring and replace the piping downstairs (this is the only thing I can think of but something I would like to avoid), i suspect there could be some major blockage which is not being removed with the power flush. The piping and rads are old. All the TVR's have also been replaced with new ones on all rads.

The boiler is in the downstairs kitchen. I have been told the system flows upstairs first from the kitchen, through all the rooms and then downstairs.

Please help. This is driving me nuts. I feel I have replaced a boiler for no good reason since the problem has still not been resolved.

you may well need to plumb the system in a different way, which need not cost the earth, i would split the two heating cicrs as soon as you can off the boiler pipe the down stairs with 22mm pipe until at least the first rad if not slightly beyond. without seeing the system i would guess that upstairs is vertually all 15mm flow and returns.dropping down neatly in a corner this does make easy installation then blank of your flow and return after their last rad upstairs what you have got at the minute is a boiler that is heating water that then sets off on an epic journey around the house being resticted buy small pipes, buy the time it gets to your last rad then back to the boiler its nackered.!! then maybe balance the system good luck matey!!

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone considered it might be a single pipe system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help please - Rads dont heat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock