Search the forum,

Discuss help!outside overflow keeps running! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mitzibishi

ive gota problem thats gradually getting worse, and i want to fix it soon because im going on a water meter, and i cant afford to get a plumber round. money is tight.

ok. my overflow outside keeps running water, it stops running when i use some hot water but not long after starts running agian, my backyard is like a stream of water to the drain.

i have an old boiler system, with a hot water cylynder upstairs above the boiler in the bedroom, above the cylinder is a small/medium sized tank with a ball cock in it, with an overflow to the outside, this overflow seems to be ok, above that tank and the water cylinder is a bigger water tank with an overflow to the outside, i dont know if a ball cock is in this tank but i presume so. its this tank thats overflowing. the tanks and water cylinder are all conected with pipes and there are two taps presumably controlling water pressure on each pipe that connects to the cylinder from the 2 tanks.

anyone help me to stop the big water tank over flowing?

Assuming the water comimg fom the overflow is cold :
The cold water storage tank is feeding the hot water cylinder which is why when you use some hot water the overflow stop running , adjust or replace the ball valve in the cold water storage tank ( the bigger one ) . Job done.
If the water is hot :
Call a qualified heating engineer .

how much would that cost to get done? itd be a bigger job than i thought coz the bigger tank is closed of so ill have to pull some fake wall down to get at it :(

the engineer that comes round will charge more to take the false wall down than you would be happy to pay!!
tho it would be more expensive if you did it yourself and fell through the false ceiling.

main question. why is it positioned in a false wall
when was it last checked over?

good luck
shaun

ive lived here 4 years and it hasnt been checked. and i dont think it was checked for awhile before because the house was a rental.

the cylinder and tanks are in sort of a wooden airing cupboard in the back bedroom, theres a door but above the cylinder and where the tanks are is a wooden wall, so you cannot get to the big tank at the top which is overflowing.

i supose i could disasemble the wooden wall myself and have a look whats going on above in the tanks, then get a plumber round.

mitz, if your a bit handy, then remove the frontpanel, if its an old framework, it will be nailed together. newer will be screwed. just go slowly, and if your worried stop work and call your plumber.

there may well be electric cables clipped to the inside framework.

its any easy job, have a little faith. once you have removed the frontpanel, you will see the tank, and probably fix it yourself.

let us know what you find

good luck
shaun

what do you do for a job may be you can help him
or pay him on the drip
beats a flood
goood luck

Last edited by a moderator:
its wooden slats, about 10 slats for the front, so im gunna have to remove slat by slat n hope the top of the tank isnt situated in my attic coz ive got an attic conversion, which will mean i will have to knock the plasterboard in up in the attic to get to it. im gunna have a good look at it see what i can do

just thought id check in.

fixed the problem after the last reply.

took the wall apart and got in to have a look. it was a ballcock in the top tank, all i did was pull up on the ballcock arm and it seems to have stopped the flow. it mustv got stuck in its old age in a lower position making it run constant.

now, ive got a hole in the roof

anyone know anything about roofing on here? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help!outside overflow keeps running! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock