Discuss Height in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lenny

Hi

Is there a standard height for fitting system controllers ? I had a disagreement today with an electricien who wanted to fit a solar controller 1.2m off the ground ? He ended up fitting at 1.6m.

Thanks

Lenny :)

Light switches are 1.2m from ground which is probably why he wanted to do this.

In new build the height has to comply with part M of the building regulations “Access to and use of buildings” Section 8. Switches and sockets should be between 450mm and 1200mm from the floor, this applies to heating controls as well.

This also applies (obviously) with part P

In new build the height has to comply with part M of the building regulations “Access to and use of buildings” Section 8. Switches and sockets should be between 450mm and 1200mm from the floor, this applies to heating controls as well.
last time i read the instructions for a room stat they said 1500 mm from floor anyone know if its changed ?

last time i read the instructions for a room stat they said 1500 mm from floor anyone know if its changed ? just checked honeywell site and still says 1.5m

manufacturers instructions are the definative over riding bs

Last edited:
Sorry but on “New Build” when part M is applicable Building Regulations will take precedence.

Had a job recently were the electrician had fitted the stats at 1600mm from finished floor level. Building Control Officer (BCO) would not pass the building as the stats had to be in the 450mm to 1200mm range. Fortunately the stats specified were Heatmiser programmable stats and there is a remote control available (£20 each) so one was supplied with each property BCO was happy with this

In existing properties then the stat should be at the most sensible height possible in line with light switches etc.

No Building reg over rides manufactorers instructions
If you want to go with a perticular Building Reg ,a item/piece of equiptment used has to have manufactoters instructions that fit in with that,if availible,if not,tuff
You should never go against manufactorers instruction to please/meet building regs
Building Contol Officers,do'nt walk on water although many seem to think they do

No Building reg over rides manufactorers instructions
If you want to go with a perticular Building Reg ,a item/piece of equiptment used has to have manufactoters instructions that fit in with that,if availible,if not,tuff
You should never go against manufactorers instruction to please/meet building regs
Building Contol Officers,do'nt walk on water although many seem to think they do
thank you puddle thats what i was taught after all the manufacturers have done extensive testing with their products where as building regs are based on general principles and lets be honest some building inspectors knoledge on things as simple as drainage is very limited these days

Solar controller isnt a room stat of any sort so 1.5m high as normal doesnt matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Height in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, So I did a job for a customer recently which involved swapping out an incredibly dangerous and poorly installed unvented hot water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with my current situation. We bought a new build and after getting my boiler and unvented...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water, so we have the main water tank in the airing cupboard, plus a small pressurised (I think) tank. The...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue...
Replies
Views
P
Hi. I have a hot water high pressure problem that my heating engineer (and other engineers that he has spoken to) cannot fix. I’m hoping someone...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock