Search the forum,

Discuss Fireplace/Heath Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rs3100

Just after some advice. I have removed the old back boiler from the fireplace in my house (see pic).
The fireplace has been opened out to the bricks holding up the lintel, and all the debris removed. The base of the fireplace drops below the floor level by approximately 1-2 inches and jutting out in to the floor is a concrete hearth (~15" X 48"). I will level off, with concrete, the bottom of the fireplace to the level of the hearth with the intention of putting a slate hearth on top.

Does anyone know what the requirements are if I want to have a multifuel stove installed at a later date?

Also what is best to put on the bricks in the fireplace? I've had both Supalux and Vermiculite suggested.

Thanks in advance.

photo.jpg

I'd be tempted to render the brickwork.

As for the stove, check out which ones you like the look of and refer to the MI's for clearances, ventilation etc.

You would need to find the multi fuel stove really and look in the instructions. Usually it is 300mm from the front of the stove to edge of hearth and the hearth needs to be 125mm thick, dimensions at side and rear depend on manufacturer

you can get special fire rated render but its very expensive. It may be better to leave bare brick cleaned up.

take a look at part j of the building regulations for detailed requirements for the fire place and clearances of combustable materials. Dependant on the applaince you get you will have to have certain size construction and superimposed hearths including correct material depth.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/AD_J_wm.pdf

before any work get the chimney swept and tested by an approved chimney sweep. Its best to know beforehand if you need to fit a liner etc... as the cost will increase quite abit.

also it will need to be fitted and sign off by a Hetas register engineer, if you live in a smokeless area then make sure the appliance you buy meets the requirements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fireplace/Heath Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Moved in to 1980s bungalow in the last year. Doing renovations and manging things myself (I'm a qualified sparky -- clueless about plumbing until recently!)... New bathroom with all new domestic plumbing going in. Cylinder position is changing and new cylinder going in. Need to switch from...
Replies
Views
Hello there! I hope your weekend has started well. TL/DR: Should I replace 90-degree bend with a smaller type to increase the fall from the shower tray? I am replacing a bathtub with a 1500 X 800 Sonas shower tray which I will place on 4-inch blocks, probably with some 18mm marine ply on top...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm renovating an old cottage and will be installing UFCH with an Air to water heat pump. I'm building an extension off the cottage which will include a kitchen/utility and bathroom so it will basically be 3 Zones, Kitchen, Livingroom and 1 bedroom. The living room is 7 m x 4.5 m with a...
Replies
Views
V
Hoping you can help us with a heating system question that has caused a lot of anxiety for us as a family. Just grateful for some proper, practical advice. We have a 50-70 year old four bedroom family house that has a central heating system powered by a Worcester boiler downstairs (and a...
Replies
Views
Hello all I'm thinking of having a multi fuel stove put into my fireplace I'm going to build up the hearthearth to 125 mm but the problem that I have is theirs a 22mm gas pipe buried in the floor outside the firefireplace just underneath the hearth do I need to move it
Replies
Views
leerdonald
L
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock