Discuss fast track courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcmoby69

just read the post
icon1.gif
Dont get too excited !
never read anything as funny! it descended into a right good free for all! in my honest opinion anyone doing a 'fast track course' and willing to go out into the big wide world as a 'qualified' plumber must have a big pair of ging gangs and a very cheap public liability insurance that covers them for starting world war 3. yes i was an apprentice! after 3 years brewing up sweeping crap lugging tools crawling under floors( are you allowed to do that nowadays?) watching learning doing the job, after 22 years i am still learning. how can anyone seriously expect to go on their own after 8/10/12 weeks?well done for doing the course! but dont consider yourself 'qualified'
before the bullets start flying again. i have considered employing an apprentice but i have failed to find anyone with the right attitude. all they seem to want is qualified pay just for getting out of bed! maybe its just me?i do remember passing my C&G in '89 my boss rolled his eyes and said' * me i'll have to pay you full wage now!'
i was earning as much as my dad!! (bought my mum a new washing machine tho!) i stayed with my boss for 15yrs as a subby and still do gas work for him now. he is a great bloke(has his off days and moans like the rest of us)BUT as i have always said treat others like you would like to be treated.
the stories of solicitors and accountants leaving their job to start plumbing! ha ha ha !
in todays world most people seem to be out to make a fast buck , everywhere you look there are courses for everything. when people realise that plumbers do not drive porsches and eat caviar butties. it is the people who run the courses whoe drive porsches and eat .........

right gone on long enough !(sits back and waits)

I did one of these courses and am doing well so dont start this childish rubbish again PLEASE!!!

In the company that I work for we've a selection of people from different training backgrounds. Some have done fast track training, some the full five years at college, some british gas trained etc.

Some of the guys that have done the fast track are rubbish but at least one is very good. Some of the 5 year guys are good whilst others are rubbish. Same goes for the ex british gas.

Quality of workmanship is not only dependant on the course you have done it is also very much dependant on the attitude of the person doing the training. Someone who has done the fast track route may need mor guidance and nurturing than someone who is time served but as long as the end result is a good plumber/heating engineer than surely that is all that matters.

In an ideal world every one would do a proper apprenticeship but in today's changing world that isn't going to happen so we have to make the best of what's available.

Mike

Their is no reason to generalise on fast trackers but wouldn't you want to evolve as a plumber rather than download all the information in a short period of time. I understand that also some companies won't employ/contract fast trackers?

It does mainly come down to the keenness and work ethic of the plumber at the end of the day and a decent plumber whether fast tracked or apprenticeship is worth their weight in gold I hear.

I started my course just over a year ago aged 27, I had the option of fast tracking or sending myself to college a day a week and chose the later. It was cheaper and more beneficial for me. If you feel that you can mentally consume all that information and gain all that experience in 10 or 12 weeks, good luck to ya!

I did a fast track and I am also evolving ...I take on things I know I can handle and leave every customer satisfied. There is a lot more to being a plumber than the 6129 you're doing ...I am gaining valuble real life experience and it is scary at first! I have learned so much more than what they teach you in those 10 weeks, which it is only to be regarded as a starting point for those who are life experienced, very technical minded and know how to run a business. It was the same when I used to be a sous chef , there would be people who did fast track cheffing who were really good and some people who had been doing it all their lives that were imposible to work with.

This debate had beed blead to death on this website and if you want to look at them visit the archives ! It kind of brings the whole mood and ethos of the site down and is dissapointing to say the least. Lets all work togeather to make this forum a friendly and nice place for all plumbers to gain knowledge from weather it be a diy'er or a fast tracker or a time served demi god. Thankyou :)

You raise some good points. I guess the difference is that you have had the traaining and are now out in the world and I am having the training and being out in the real world at the same time.
Just so you know, even though i paid for my course and go college every tuesday, I still get near a plumbers wages as I a not an apprentice as such.

The college I am at (Bexley college) do the 6129 and 6089 as a single course, which is handy. It cost ÂŁ800 per year for the 4 years.

I agree john........you will always get anti course people on all forums for trades....but it is the way things are going...not many firms take on apprentices now and if anybody wants to learn a trade then they have to look elsewhere......it is better they do training somewhere than just go-ahead and do it without...

These forums can be a wealth on knowledge to old school plumbers keeping up with new innovations and new comers to the trade that need guidance.....lets make this the biggest plumbimg forum there is, and we want you all to be part of it and friendly input etc will attract more members....

thanks dave..

no one would confess to be qualified in 10 weeks same goes for any trade aswell it would annoy me to but the thing is that they have the willingness to learn which is a good thing as mentioned in a previous post end of the day all we need is top tradesman

i v met many tradesman tilers, plumbers etc who are supposidly time served and they are rough

Hi, with all that has been said about fast track courses, apprenticeships and college courses, which would you recomend for a 30 year old, who cant wait to get into the trade?

I can't say with certainty, but I'd have thought an apprenticeship is the best course. You earn and learn at the same time. College courses are longer and fast track ... well the name suggests quick learning!

It's all very well some people complaining about fast track but for some of us there is no other option. At 45 (cough) I was too old to try and find an apprenticeship - who would want to take me on? As I didn't have a job (or have any real qualifications to find a job) I didn't have 2-3 years to spare while waiting for my next evening course at college. So it was a fast track for me.

Out of the group I was in, I think the youngest went to work for his family firm (he was sent on the course by his company) and I am the only other who is still doing plumbing a year later. I made a success of it and had paid for my course and the van (and all the extras like telephone bills, clothing, stock, etc) around six months after I finished my course. It was hard work and I was lucky to have found good customers, but I honestly expected it would be 1-2 years before I reached break even. I accept I had a rare start to my career.

DRIVING AND PLUMBING

If you think about driving, you can have a lesson a week over a few weeks or learn for the test in 4-5 days. Either way doesn't make you a better driver (it's still the same amount of hours learning). It's only after the driving test you learn how to drive.

To me, I've applied the same principle to plumbing. The course told me the theories and some of the basics.

There were no cobwebs to fight through, the stop taps were used every week and were not set in solid gunk, the mains came down the wall and not up through the back of the kitchen cupboards and there were no dogs, children or clean carpets to contend with.

So, like driving, it's only after the course that you really learn how to plumb. Your attitude, presentation, etc are important aspects in gaining and keeping customers.

I can't say with certainty, but I'd have thought an apprenticeship is the best course. You earn and learn at the same time. College courses are longer and fast track ... well the name suggests quick learning!

It's all very well some people complaining about fast track but for some of us there is no other option. At 45 (cough) I was too old to try and find an apprenticeship - who would want to take me on? As I didn't have a job (or have any real qualifications to find a job) I didn't have 2-3 years to spare while waiting for my next evening course at college. So it was a fast track for me.

Out of the group I was in, I think the youngest went to work for his family firm (he was sent on the course by his company) and I am the only other who is still doing plumbing a year later. I made a success of it and had paid for my course and the van (and all the extras like telephone bills, clothing, stock, etc) around six months after I finished my course. It was hard work and I was lucky to have found good customers, but I honestly expected it would be 1-2 years before I reached break even. I accept I had a rare start to my career.

DRIVING AND PLUMBING

If you think about driving, you can have a lesson a week over a few weeks or learn for the test in 4-5 days. Either way doesn't make you a better driver (it's still the same amount of hours learning). It's only after the driving test you learn how to drive.

To me, I've applied the same principle to plumbing. The course told me the theories and some of the basics.

There were no cobwebs to fight through, the stop taps were used every week and were not set in solid gunk, the mains came down the wall and not up through the back of the kitchen cupboards and there were no dogs, children or clean carpets to contend with.

So, like driving, it's only after the course that you really learn how to plumb. Your attitude, presentation, etc are important aspects in gaining and keeping customers.
Good points, well presented!

Hi Beest ,At your age I would just do the fast track and take on only work you know you can handle . After 6 months you will be well on your way.

hi Beest

I agree with John i am 31 and have no choice but to do the course as I will never get an apprenticship and of course taking on jobs that you areable to deal with is a biggie.

Dontknowitall great comments. I have said it before just because anyone has done an apprenticeship does not garuntee a good and competant worker. The same with fast track does not garuntee a good worker.

Its a shame that apprenticeships are dieing but thats the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fast track courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock