Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion pipe running in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geeds

Does anyone know what the strange looking contraption is in my attachment?

I have had trouble with the expansion pipe running over back into the heating header tank unless I set my pump to its lowest setting, but then not all the radiators heat up.
I just discovered today that if I blocked off the cold water feed the expansion stops overflowing. This makes me think that this odd splitter thing is blocked partly on the return to the pump, so the pump is sucking extra water from the tank causing the system to overflow. Does this sound plausable?

I was thinking of cutting this thing out and fitting a T, does that sound reasonable as well?

Any advice welcome,

Thanks,

Geeds

Attachments

• DSC01601.JPG
    DSC01601.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 62
Does anyone know what the strange looking contraption is in my attachment?

I have had trouble with the expansion pipe running over back into the heating header tank unless I set my pump to its lowest setting, but then not all the radiators heat up.
I just discovered today that if I blocked off the cold water feed the expansion stops overflowing. This makes me think that this odd splitter thing is blocked partly on the return to the pump, so the pump is sucking extra water from the tank causing the system to overflow. Does this sound plausable?

I was thinking of cutting this thing out and fitting a T, does that sound reasonable as well?

Any advice welcome,

Thanks,

Geeds
Air Seperator

Ahhh :)

Thanks. Don't seem to be able to get anything that looks like it anywhere.

What do you think, throw it away? or is that a bad idea?

At least I know what it is now. Perhaps I can get another.

Do you think it could be blocked causing the problem I have?

G.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know too much about them as relatively new in trade, the more experienced chaps will probably help you there.I think Toolstation.BES do them.
Sorry can't help more than that.
I have heard that they do get blocked etc,if system has problems like drawing air in, corrosion.But I've no physical experience.
You need to keep the cold feed and vent pipe(expansion pipe as you call it) within 150mm of each other with feed behind pump and vent behind feed.

Last edited:
You will not buy them now and not needed,another seventies special,you will probably find full of rubbish anyway,restricting flow causing part of the problem cut out and just do the 'H' pipework formation above the pump

a company called tower make them available at PTS up here in the north east why not combine feed and expansion?? by that i mean scrap cold fill and run expansion into cold fill position on tank using a 22mm tank connector this method often solves pumping over and is recommended on low head installs

Hi Smoogs,

Thanks for the reply, I'm assuming this is what you mean?

See pic.

I was thinking of doing this, one pipe less ;)
That would be acceptable then?

I was also thinking of fitting a magnaclean in the feed to the pump as there is a nice big space to put in in the feed. I've had it for over a year, just not got around to fitting it yet.

It suggests in the instructions to put it in the flow from the pump not the feed. But I've heard other people say it does not matter. What do you think?

Cheers.

Attachments

• heating.JPG
    heating.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
still for sale in preston,lancs.
dont like them myself - as said a 70's special and with todays modern systems, unrequired sludge collectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Expansion pipe running in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
R
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into the unit; a spring check valve was placed on the cold line (per the manual) after which there is an expansion tank (on the cold line) in a T junction...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
I recently took off an end stop on the vent/expansion pipe over the heating header tank. I now know why it was capped off. When the 2 way valve opens to heat the hot water, water pours out of the vent pipe. I had a heating engineer out, he said get rid, open vented systems are now obsolete...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock