Search the forum,

Discuss Desperate dame struggles with mixer shower mystery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

magpett

Can I use a thermostatic shower (Triton) with gravity feed hot water but a mains direct cold water supply, and, if I can, what are the disadvantages/problems?

hi thought they would have to be balance feeds both gravity

Hi there. I am really stuck with what I have, viz. gravity feed hot water abd mains direct vold water. Will the shower work at all with these two feeds?

Will installing a shower pump between the two feeds and the shower do the trick? They sell them at Homebase for £99! What do you reckon?

you cannot attach a pump to your mains cold water its illegal you need to supply the cold feed to the pump from cold water tank (ie your original tank if big enough or install a seperate one) good luck

Last edited:
Gray's on the ball there. Plus the countless hours listening to us grumbling about our knees, backs, ungrateful/stupid customers, health and safety, the youth of today, other plumbers, the economy, electricians, boiler manufacturers, carpenters and bleedin' politicians!

Other than that we're quite lovable. Some of us even have our own teeth!

Hi there, I am surprised the others have not asked you the position of your hot water cylinder (they are to busy preening and struting their stuff it seems!)

Do you have a house, or is it a flat? If the hot water cylinder is on the same floor as the shower outlet, and if so is it raised up on a plinth, or on the floor?

This bit is quite important, as your options kind of hinge on this info - what kind of pump you might use (if at all . . )

By the way, there are a few girl plumbers out there now, although plumbing isn't for the faint of heart.

Let me know!

Hi there and thanks for help. In my house the hot water cylinder is 30 feet above the shower I am trying to fit. Very tall narrow house! And, yes, I guess an additonal option to marrying a plumber might be to train as a girlie one.......now there's an idea!!

Yes it might be possible to get a 'positive head' pump (like in wickes/homebase for £99) combined with a cold water cistern to supply the cold water, situated where the hot cylider is.

Shouldn't cost too much really though. (depending how far the pipe runs need to be)

By the way, the only thing more likely to excite the boys on here, more than a women looking to marry a plumber - is the idea of an attractive female 'plumber' . . .

Ask if you have any further questions.

(ps: if you do marry a plumber, try and get one who is relatively young and still attractive! Many of the guys on here are so old they have started to mummify!!!! - not me though . . .)

If your hot water cylinder is 30ft above the shower that means your cold cistern is higher. Your pressure at the hot will be in the region of 1 bar.
What that means is the shower valve you have will probably work with what you have unless your incoming mains supply is above 5 bar.
Most thermostatic showers will work at a pressure differential of 5:1. Worst case fit a £20 pressure reducing valve to the cold.

It might work unassisted as tamzs points out:

You could fit the thermostatic shower to the existing pipework (gravity/hot mains/cold) and find out
if it is going to work out.

First thing though, is get a pressure testing kit for £15, screw it on to the washing machine cold supply, and get a reading of your mains pressure (very easy to do - or get someone in to quote on the work, and ask them to check the water pressure to if this will work)

If the mains supply pressure is standard (ie 2-3 bar), and your hot water cylinder is definitely 10 meters above the shower then you could definately get a shower working fine like this.

Most combi boilers operate at similiar pressures for hot/cold and are fine for thermostatic showers. In fact with 1 bar pressure on the hot side it should be fine.

Would come round to have a look for you, but I have a feeling that you may be too far for my standard call out (south east only) . . .

Hi there. This advice is extremely helpful so thanks fothinking out this reply and taking trouble. Yes, I am far away from you. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Desperate dame struggles with mixer shower mystery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock