Search the forum,

Discuss De-scaling a heat store DHW coil in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diymostthings

My son has a heat store with primary pumped boiler circuit to heat the store with a second pump serving the CH, controlled by the room stat. DHW is via an internal coil in the store, fed from the mains with a blender valve at the outlet. The problem is that although the store water heats up fine, and the CH works fine, the DHW will only give an initial "slug" of hot water after a period of non use, followed by a flow of at best mildly lukewarm water. I am almost certain the problem is a scaled up coil and/or blender valve.

Question: Is it feasible to just descale the coil (e.g. using citric acid or Kilrock or the like? I could make up a simple bit of kit to just circulate this solution around the coil until free from scale.

Any comments or advice (particularly on what de-scaler chemical to use) gratefully received!

diymostthings

yes you can descale the coil easyily with a descaling machine or as you say you could probably lash something up, personally id use spirits of salts you could just rig up a header tank with a slow running valve and a catch tank in the way that ascots used to recomend for their heat exchagers but think hiring a machine might well be as cost effective

Thanks Steve. Yes I was going to rig up a "closed circuit" of pump and polypipe with a vertical "leg" from a tee at the top to add the water and chemical. that way the CO2 will escape too.
Much appreciated - thanks again.

diymostthings

Its a Gledhill direct with integral header. Obsolete I know but we can't afford a shiny new unvented!

Does this make a difference to my de-scaling plans?

diymostthings

yes its not scale its a knackerd thermister or more probably a knackerd dhw pump i have lots of experiance with gledhills dont put a standard grundfos pump on its a special for this i get them of gledhill for £110 cheaper than merchants but this is probably your fault de scaleing is not the issue

yes its not scale its a knackerd thermister or more probably a knackerd dhw pump i have lots of experiance with gledhills dont put a standard grundfos pump on its a special for this i get them of gledhill for £110 cheaper than merchants but this is probably your fault de scaleing is not the issue
ive got a gledhill boiler mate and theres no hot water pump just a main pump and heating pump but mine needs descaling every five of six years its the stationary water in the coil that causes the problem i belive

only basing this on the faults that i do,bearing in mind i am in a soft/medium water area most boiler mates i see are unvented [dhw] side with 3 pumps and its normally the domestic pump which causes this fault

very nearly fell foul of this, special pump that modulates down at low voltage.:eek:

ive got a gledhill boiler mate and theres no hot water pump just a main pump and heating pump but mine needs descaling every five of six years its the stationary water in the coil that causes the problem i belive
Could be a pulsa coil 2000, no heating pump, just a pump that circulates the stored heat through a plate type exchanger like in a combi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gas man and thanks for your input. No it can't be a thermistor or pump problem - it hasn't got either on the system. The DHW simply comes straight off the mains, through the coil and out to the taps (via a blending valve). There are two pumps but one is on the boiler primary to the store, the other pumps the CH. The boiler and CH are working fine - i.e. full of hot water, so i think it must be scaling in the DHW coil in the store.

thanks again
diymostthings

Hi Steve - looks lik eyou have confirmed my diagnosis! could I ask what you use to descale? (chemical used and kit)?

diymostthings

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gas man and thanks for your input. No it can't be a thermistor or pump problem - it hasn't got either on the system. The DHW simply comes straight off the mains, through the coil and out to the taps (via a blending valve). There are two pumps but one is on the boiler primary to the store, the other pumps the CH. The boiler and CH are working fine - i.e. full of hot water, so i think it must be scaling in the DHW coil in the store.

thanks again
diymostthings

Hi Steve - looks lik eyou have confirmed my diagnosis! could I ask what you use to descale? (chemical used and kit)?

diymostthings
i use a flushing machine with any proprietry descaler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to De-scaling a heat store DHW coil in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock