Search the forum,

Discuss Dam basin.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bobsp

I have installed a new en suite, tiles etc and am quite happy, however I am having a problem with the basin.

I can’t get it onto the wall properly. There are only two screws underneath, with limited space to get a screwdriver in as it is. There was a pair of wall plugs with it, but as it is not going onto a solid wall, (false wall with the waste pipes behind) I have used the metal plasterboard screw in plugs and screws. I can not get a screwdriver in so am using a poz bit in a socket and using a ratchet to tighten it. I can get it so tight then no more, but the basin still is able to wobble up and down at each side. I have already spent ages on this, and it is really starting to p**s me off…

Do you guys have any ideas, or alternative way of fixing this dam sink to the wall? The old sink was just raw plugged, when I took it off the plugs came out with my fingers, however it didn’t move on the wall….

just do it up as tight as you can then silicone right round the basin. when this is set the basin will be rock steady.

best is to have a noggin in the wall then use basin fixings (screw in fixing with nylon nuts to secure basin)

Thanks guys, it is already tiled, would rather not have to take the new tiles off. I have fixed with plasterboard plugs, and will gripfill before tightening a bit more. It is in a pedestal which is screwed down, I will stick it to the pedestal aswell.

When I do the main bathroom, I think I will ensure there is a good batten before tiling and not assume there uis.

Thanks

If your problem is getting purchase on the screw head isn't there a small coach screw you could use with a socket ? I know you can get them as small as M4 with hex bolt head.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I am not going to gripfill the basin to the pedestall. I have used a coachscrew now. Will gripfill to the wall tomorrow and tighten the screws a bit, aswell as silicone to the pedestal.

Thanks

If it is sitting on a pedestal just silicone the basin to to the tiles. It won't move and you will be able to get it off again if you need to.

Does the basin have extra holes for a "proper" basin fixing kit? ie. Fisher

Mind you, on a ped, and a stud wall, the above advice about silicone and screws working is true, as most of the forces will be pulling straight down, and therfor the ped. will take the strain.

It's only when some poor old bugger (like me) drops the soap under the pedestal and then uses the edge of the basin to lever himself up with. (Actually more likely to be OH.) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dam basin.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes sunk into wall behind bath. Walls have fresh tiles. Have realised as about to fit shower these pipes one is set higher than the other. If you fit a...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock