Search the forum,

Discuss Curious... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

This is sort of related to my last post....

A trick JPM advised me to do to work out which pipe of 3 is a gas pipe, Jpm brought up an interesting point, so thanks to him, I've posted this thread,

I'm interested in tricks or off the wall solutions, eg. (easy one to start) how to bleed a heating system with no drain cock. I struggled with this the other day. I'm sure theres more than 1 solution.

BUT, really interested in the problems that the older, wiser plumbers have had to deal with, the problems that have made you sit in your van for a while for contemplating a solution......

Perhaps that swiss army knife came in useful or grabbing your sock (puddle ;))...

Thanks

Mr squirrel

What has the drain cock got to do with bleeding a heating system ??

Mr. Jackbooted,

May not have made my question clear or used incorrect terminology,

First part of my "curious" post was how would the "old or not so old" hands drain a house with 8 radiators when at the lowest point there is no "drain off point" either in or outside the house. How would a plumber prevent all the black gue (incorrect term I know) from landing on the carpet whilst trying to attach a hose.

However, this was only a small part of my post. :rolleyes:

although having re-read my first post, yep! I thought you'd all be able to read my mind and work out what I meant.................LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, OK then,
If it is possible to get under the floor, and the pipes are there, then I would just cut into one of the pipes, bug the hose on one end, push a cap on the other and drain down that way, then when empty put your drain point down there.
I suppose you have solid floors ?

No mate, I've put an outside drain cock in at home (too bleed the radiator, joke), managed to sort it out for the customer but hadn't considered a solid floor, so, how is it poss without creating a mess, can we presume that at the lowest point, I've turned off the valves and one will not close completely?

Thanks

if there is black water involved, never let yer loveslave drain down because he will always get blackwater on the carpet and then put his foot through the ceiling fer good measure, mind you if yer enjoy thrashing yer loveslave, carry on.
Any way pick a rad where there is no carpet if possible, drain rad then put yer made up hose pipe onto the valves and drain away,
regards
Mike

When I was on the tools I used a small water spray bottle to cool the fitting down and provide a little moisture to help remove the flux,
This same spray bottle can be used on black water even on a white carpet,
The spray bottle is used in conjunction with a vacume cleaner,
Just spray on a little water and suck it up with the vacume,
What ever you do do not touch the carpet with a cloth the pressure from the
cloth only serves to inbed the black water,
The sequence of event goes spray spray spray then suck, and repeat untill clean.

You can also get elastic rad clips that slip over the end of the rad thread once the valve has been removed this is particularly good if one valve wont shut off AND you are on your own....you have to be quick mind:)

Just tell the customer that you have to pop out on an urgent mission, then ask them to drain the system down while your away. On return phrases like 'o my god what have you done' help.

use a cut in washing machine valve the type that clamps to the pipe and cuts its own hole as you tighten it once drained take it off fit new drain cock keep self tapping valve for future use

use a cut in washing machine valve the type that clamps to the pipe and cuts its own hole as you tighten it once drained take it off fit new drain cock keep self tapping valve for future use
aye done that myself:),problem with them is they only cut a small hole which can sludge up quickly.
another way is to freeze the pipe and cut in a t with a drain cock:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Curious... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock