Search the forum,

Discuss Copper pipes turned black and give damp smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RakC

Hi, I have recently purchased a repossessed house which seems to have been empty for about a year. I have an issue that the water pipes under the kitchen sink seem to have turned black and are giving off a damp musty smell which is quite strong. The cupboard was filled with dirt and mould which I have cleaned out, it seems like the previous owners may have not fixed some leak and the moisture has possibly caused some sort of oxidation (at a guess). I have tried to clean the pipes with a bleach/water solution which has not made any difference. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before and has any suggestions to correct the issue? Thanks

if that bad can you not cut back as far as you can and just replace section of pipework?

Honestly - If you pick up a repro house what do you expect ?
Its all going to be stuffed - you are not a diy man and not one of us
on UKPF - I have done many of these over the years -
Rip it all out and out and start again - if it is free standing prop
demolish it and build a new one cause you get the vat back

Centralheatking ian ratrtRakC;714618]Hi, I have recently purchased a repossessed house which seems to have been empty for about a year. I have an issue that the water pipes under the kitchen sink seem to have turned black and are giving off a damp musty smell which is quite strong. The cupboard was filled with dirt and mould which I have cleaned out, it seems like the previous owners may have not fixed some leak and the moisture has possibly caused some sort of oxidation (at a guess). I have tried to clean the pipes with a bleach/water solution which has not made any difference. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before and has any suggestions to correct the issue? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Strip it out and start again. Its all about peace of mind, well it is for me.

Just use wire wool and sugar soap. Be fine after 30 mins elbow grease

if thats your only worry after buying a empty repro house, you are soooooooo lucky. Now go forth and use some decent tradesmen to sort it all out. Like tamz said

Its probably not the pipes; its the kitchen furniture and walls. A bit like flood damage; strip back a replace all plaster and kitchen furniture. Wash down and clean pipes and lag them.

There has been a leaking drain or waste pipe under the floor at some point (might still be)and someone has fired a load of bleach, disinfectant or whatever under there.

Seen that three times and that was the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper pipes turned black and give damp smell in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, As per title we have a regular smell from the shower trap. Clean the trap twice a week, had a cleaning rod down the shower waste pipe and no blockage. Used several different drain cleaners over time but smell returns (not always but often enough to be annoying). Seems to coincide with...
Replies
Views
C
I live in an ex local authority end terrace house. I am unsure if I have an underground leak from a water pipe? Scottish Water tell me they can't help as there is no loss of water pressure and it's beyond the pavement. The tarmac at both corners are often damp, the front corner looks like the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented indirect hot water system to improve pressure in the house. The previous cylinders are in the loft now they’re in the garage next to the boiler. We...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock