Search the forum,

Discuss Intermittent bad / sewage type smell in kitchen in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered.

So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe which I assume covers all.

For the last week or so, have had a very distinct foul smell that I guess is sewage (as opposed to a smelly drain type odour) in a very specif spot in my kitchen, as you walk into it. It will come and go, every few hours or so. I cannot for the life of me trace the origin, suffice to say the upstairs loo is diagonally above it by like 6 feet or so. I can see no signs of water leaking and there's zero odour upstairs in any bathroom / loo.

The kids shower drain had been draining very, very slowly and I bombed it with a load of bathroom drain unblocker, needed 2 x 1 litre bottles actually and some plunging to shift the blockage with some unholy gunky chunks of debris coming up during the process so was pretty clogged. Seems to be draining perfectly now and clear. I was hoping that was the source of the smell somehow, but odour still there in the kitchen, driving me crazy thinking it's not as bad, maybe it will still take a few hours to dissapate but it's been more than 6 hours now and odour hasn't really gone away.

Is it possible that the unholy gunk could be partially blocking the soil vent pipe where it branches off internally? Could that cause these unholy odours seeping down into the house / kithchen? Is it an easy thing to sort / diagnose by a plumber?

Many thanks in advance!

Do you have any inline self sealing traps for your washing machine/dish washer or even sink (I hope not) in your kitchen. Or, do you have a utility WC with basin next to your kitchen?

Reply to Intermittent bad / sewage type smell in kitchen in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock