Search the forum,

Discuss Regular persistent smell from shower in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
As per title we have a regular smell from the shower trap. Clean the trap twice a week, had a cleaning rod down the shower waste pipe and no blockage. Used several different drain cleaners over time but smell returns (not always but often enough to be annoying). Seems to coincide with heavy rain or no rain so had outside drains cleaned as well. The wastepipe goes straight out through the wall and in to the main drain pipe outside and think the smell emanates from here. Standard shower trap but would be difficult to change anyway as the shower tray is cemented in and would involve taking up overboard and floor boards etc.
Is it feasible to put some kind of P-trap on the outside pipe before it enters the main drain pipe (pictures attached). I know it would look odd but better than the smell. Thanks

Attachments

• WastePipe.jpg
    WastePipe.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 8
  • ShowerTrap.jpg
    ShowerTrap.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 9
Is the main drain vented?

Sounds like the trap is being syphoned ( Sorry Yanks - English version of the word ) by the main drain.
If you put a p-trap on the outside, it would probably do the same thing.

Reply to Regular persistent smell from shower in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock