Discuss capping 22mm (cast) iron water pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

handiyman

Hi,

I've come across two (live, as in pressurised) iron mains water pipes in a wall behind my kitchen work top whilst cutting the bricks to extend the worktop to the other side of the wall.
The pipes are sticking up about 140mm above the bricks. (see photo)
How can I cut and cap these pipes? If I grind them off, is there a fitting on the market that will cap the pipe without having to cut a thread on it?

Greatful for any suggestions.

handiyman

Attachments

• 2011-10-30 11.22.05.jpg
    2011-10-30 11.22.05.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 60
Can you isolate the supply to these pipes?

If yes. The best way will prob be to weld a cap on.

You can get compression fittings. But far short of cutting a thread on them a weld is next best permanent option

Get a plumber who can freeze the pipes then thread the open end and cap it
simples

Get a plumber who can freeze the pipes then thread the open end and cap it
simples

I think he wanted to take the pipes lower then the work top

best to chase them down till you find another joint and twist out of fitting and plug with iron plug you may need to heat the join to get it apart
it might be easier to cut them under floor and do same just further back

Hi,

I can easily turn off the mains to take the pressure off. As I have no way to cut a thread on it, the Primofit Cap which Tamz suggested seems the way to go.
Thanks a lot for all your input.

handiyman

Hire a pipe threading diestock from your local tool hire company and cut a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to capping 22mm (cast) iron water pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need to this cast iron pipe back as my new back to wall toilet won’t fit otherwise. Cutting it back i am going to lose the collar. So what...
Replies
Views
Hi, Helping a friend, his soil stack is cast iron. The bath and basin wastes (all removed now) went into individual entries on the stack. These...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
D
Options needed for Soil Pipe/Toilet fitting. Hi Everyone. - I'm planning a bathroom remodel, and my wife would like a solution that covers the...
Replies
Views
I apologise in advance that this might not make sense or be full of silly/obvious questions, but I am a novice at all this! We have recently...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock