Search the forum,

Discuss Building control passed off drains going uphill?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
For the last year our next door neighbours have been having a big 2 storey extension built (supposed to take 3 months) from a company from mybuilder every part of it has been a nightmare for the builder, mainly the roof ....to cut a long story short the builder has now gone under on account of his inexperience and massively underquoting and now a new gang of cowboys seem to have appeared and are setting about the extension with stihl saws and sledge hammers they filling skips with foam backed plasterboard, breeze blocks and god knows what that has only been put up by the previous outfit.

I've been keeping out of the way and not getting involved as I hate working for direct neighbours but the scaffolders say the roof (which is all 'finished' and slated is 2 feet too high and all needs to be ripped off and 2 courses of stone removed, also the insulation is all wrong and the drains that are all concreted over run up hill.

Neighbours are at least 20K down and at the end of their ropes...they were promised it would all be finished by Christmas but now all the roof has to be taken down and started from scratch and at the worst time of year.

The building control officer made regular visits so how could this happen??....do they even know what they are doing or was he just taking the builders word that he'd done it right?

I think if the roof was 2ft too high building control would have noticed it if they had been doing visits. I think your neighbour should talk to them before just taking the new builders word for it. Even if it is the wrong height BC may agree to a retro variation.
There could of course be good reason why the place is being ripped apart but then again builders can sometimes smell the fear and make an easy meal of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Building control passed off drains going uphill?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Hi All I own 2 flats and the upstairs/first floor tenant has contacted me to say that the toilet and basin are slow at draining and she thinks there is a blockage. She stated she has tried various shop boought unblockers but nothing worked.... I went there and gained access to downstairs to...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry this is so long. I have tried to give all relevant info. We are building a new, small, two-storey house that is off grid for power. There are only a few companies that do central heating systems locally, and they are aimed at the very top end of the market. We are at the lower end of...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to this forum. I hope someone experienced out there can help me find the fix. We recently finished a building project and had a major re-design/move of all of our hot water (megaflo), boiler and central heating system. I am not a plumber nor do I know much about plumbing but I know...
Replies
Views
Sorry this is a bit long but I need to explain the scenario. My neighbour's soil pipe runs underneath the backyard of my house (where my son, his wife and his 6 year-old daughter now live). It then joins our soil pipe and goes on to the main sewer. They are both 3-storey 5-bedroomed terraced...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock