Search the forum,

Discuss Neighbour's Waste Pipe Runs Under my Backyard in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Sorry this is a bit long but I need to explain the scenario. My neighbour's soil pipe runs underneath the backyard of my house (where my son, his wife and his 6 year-old daughter now live). It then joins our soil pipe and goes on to the main sewer. They are both 3-storey 5-bedroomed terraced houses. Several years ago the drain blocked, causing an issue for both houses due to a poor flow and a build-up of waste over time, and it had to be rodded. A new owner moved in nextdoor 6 months ago, a single woman in her 30s. She then rented rooms out to people and wild parties started happening every weekend. All the people in the area were affected, and my son got environmental health to send them a letter. They then had parties less often and told my son in advance so his family could stay somewhere else that night - they never told anyone else though! People living there have now started arriving home at 3:00 in the morning 2 or 3 times a week, waking people up with loud drunken voices and prolonged loud music playing on a car stereo, before finally going indoors. We now notice that the drain has started to block again because we can see water seeping from our waste pipe at first floor level whenever the toilet is flushed, meaning it isn't running away fast enough. I suspect it's been caused by there being a lot more people using their toilets, and probably flushing away face wipes etc. as well. The question is - if I can't get a satisfactory resolution to the issues caused by these new neighbours, do I have the right to simply disconnect their soul pipe forcing them to route their waste to somewhere else?

Of course you can't disconnect their sewage pipe and hope for the best, I'd sue you for damages as well as all the fees incurred if I had to move out while you also paid for the repair/reconnection.

Only shared after your connection onto it

Also re route to where they all join the main stink pipe

Yes down to uu

Isn't the shared pipe under our backyard now a 'Section 24' drain?
All the pipe under your property that the neighbour discharges into is the responsibility and property of United Utilities.
They would need to unblock and replace if required.
Your neighbour previously had an established right of access over your land for the pipe.

You are only responsible for and own, the section that only you discharge into.

Not only do you need United Utilities permission to interfere with the shared pipe you also need their permission to build within 1 mtr of it.

Last edited:

Reply to Neighbour's Waste Pipe Runs Under my Backyard in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi could anyone give advice please ? I went to look at a new build for sale they are apartments/ one house on top of another all properties will be privately owned by individual buyers, a guy on-site pointed out that the plumbing is wrong on the properties as a perspective buyer I’d like to know...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, Just in process of relocating kitchen & utility to other side of house but have a question re venting requirements. I intend to connect a sink and dishwasher in the kitchen and a sink and washing machine in the utility room to a 50mm waste pipe running within the suspended floor to...
Replies
Views
Joeab88
J
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors for unclogging tho we never experience ours clogging up. Sure we had it clog up once and had it blown out with high pressure water from local plumber...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet in our new house. It’s eventually going to be moved to the other side of the house. The seal around the back of the toilet had failed so I switched...
Replies
Views
My backyard became very wet over the past year. Today i did some digging and found this orange rectangular pipe underneath a gravel layer underneath the top soil. Its rectangular not round. It is very hard not plastic. It bends at 90 degree and the corner has a huge crack with water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock