Discuss Am I the only Idiot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzer

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Been round to two houses this week where I quoted for a Combi swap They got me round to re connect the fire on one and re connect the hob on one because the boiler fitter didnt do that he just fitted boilers ( Different Fitters) This is my gripe I allways fit TRVs and a room stat as per that course we had to do to register your own work part L these fitters did not no upgrade apart from the band A just threw um in one had the condensate running 2m almost level in 3/4 (21.5) I suppose another job for me soon. Maybe I should start giving a throw um in price

Thats the problem the custard is happy with the boiler it works and was cheep not interested with stats and valves and GS are not interested they will never get to see the job I doubt it registered

whats gas safe going to do?.nowt.

people pay for what they want, no trv, cheapest job etc. thats why you didnt get it.
imo, you have to have 2 prices for the same job, one the right way and one the cheapest or its time to look for another lead.

If they don't want to pay for what many (customers) consider unnecessary extras you can't force them.
Gas safe nor building control can do nothing about it. What are they going to do if it were reported? Send the TRV police to issue a fixed penelty? Cut their gas off until it is rectified.
No. Nothing will be or can be done.

Thats exactly how it is round my way.....fit a customer supplied Main 30 Eco, no real issues other than not interested in TVR's etc. but when I went through the "I'll register it for you with building control " speech...he said "don,t care, if owt go's wrong I'll be onto you ok !!!, so "hopefully won't see you for 6 years at least pal" he said......

Its the building control that want the registration not the manufacturer as they guesstimate manufacture date/install date to be 3 - 6 months
I am not to familiar with the main boilers but just give them a call

How do you stand with GS and building Control if you throw it in no stats and don't register it from a legal point of view

How do you stand with GS and building Control if you throw it in no stats and don't register it from a legal point of view
Well when it comes down to it,it is the customers responsibility to get the boiler registered,we can do it cheaper if part of a scheme and as an optional extra if we feel like it

Suppose if the thermostat police came along they would insist on a room thermostat being fitted on a bad day and shake their head on a good one thats about it
No Thermostatic valves is the kind of reg breaking that would be tagged onto the end on a list of other incorrect items in the property by it's self,not a lot of bite

In the grand scheme of things can not see why landlords do not insist on a basic room stat fitted by these fly by nights,in costs about £15 with cable,even if they just stick next to boiler,it stops tenants messing with boiler controls and breaking them and increases life of boiler and reducers break downs,all of which come out of their pockets

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
So you can throw one in and fill in the benchmark with dose not meet build regs at cust request and you wont get your bum kicked if you registered it and that was the one they checked even though you would not have a copy of it

You cant force a customer to install items, you can only recommend. If they refuse to have TRVs then just make a note of it.

i had an interesting call out last month. got a call out to a leaking pump washer. it turned the cust was the head inspector of building control in bradford. so was chatting away as he was sat on bed as i was in cupboard changing the washer. i slipped into the conversation asking who deals with gas checks and installs to make sure it complies with building regs. he says we dont we leave it too gas safe to police that. now i could have told him that gas safe only police the gas side but if he's the head of building control i aint gonna tell him how to do his job. i wonder how many other councils building control depts have this policy. as it seems to me you can basically do anything you want it's never gonna be acted upon unless cust complains and if they are none the wiser to building regs it never will

In my opinion, the only people who know about the building regulations are those who write them (but never see how they work in practice), those who teach them (but only know the rules), and those who are meant to stick by them (us non-cowboy tradesmen) but are not allowed to force customers into sticking to them.

Any slip up along the way will come back on us (not the customer who's responsible for his/her property), nor the tutor (they've not seen the circumstances), nor the regulation writers (who only write the rules).

Solicitors, when it comes to buying a house, like to see a piece of paper but have no idea what they're looking for to ensure things are up to standard. Surveyors have knowledge of all the rules but not enough knowledge in any particular area so wouldn't know if a flue might leak or an oil tank base is large enough or whether the earth cable is working correctly or whether the timbers in the roof are the correct size. Local building inspectors can be good (and give helpful advice) or, more commonly, useless and tell you that if you're a member of a competent persons scheme then you should know how to do the job properly.

Etc, etc, etc.

What's this all for? Jobs for the boys, of course!

Been round to two houses this week where I quoted for a Combi swap They got me round to re connect the fire on one and re connect the hob on one because the boiler fitter didnt do that he just fitted boilers ( Different Fitters) This is my gripe I allways fit TRVs and a room stat as per that course we had to do to register your own work part L these fitters did not no upgrade apart from the band A just threw um in one had the condensate running 2m almost level in 3/4 (21.5) I suppose another job for me soon. Maybe I should start giving a throw um in price

i always point these things out, if nothing else you build your trust with the customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I the only Idiot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Potterton Gold heat only, I went there last week no heating, 2 jammed trv's and air in the system. I was up against it, it was late and I had 3...
Replies
Views
I'm hoping for a bit of advice. We are in the process of renovating an old house and as part of that work we are upgrading the old 1980s boiler...
Replies
Views
You amazing bunch were able to help me out greatly a few months ago and I’m hoping you will be able to do the same this time around. 7 months ago...
Replies
Views
R
My Grandmother has to have a replacement boiler fitted in to her kitchen at her massive detatched 12 bedroomed house in Twickenham ,London.The...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
S
i wonder if someone can advise me please. Just bought a new house and had a complete new central heating system put in with a combi boiler, rads...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock