Search the forum,

Discuss safety issue question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smickle

i wonder if someone can advise me please. Just bought a new house and had a complete new central heating system put in with a combi boiler, rads etc..as it had electric storage heaters before. all has been working fine, it was installed by a experienced qualified, registered installer who has a good reputation.

Im also in the middle of having a new kitchen installed. Today the kitchen fitter sent a gas engineer out to me to put in a pipe for the new gas hob, now this engineer was only suppose to be here for half an hour as i was told it was simple job for him to do, but he turned up with 3 other helpers and his attitude was quite arrogant.

he told me i had got a gas leak which obviuosly alarmed me but then he said it wasnt too bad ( it was 2bars in 2 minutes if that makes sense) he said i should allow him to replace the gas pipe and it would cost £200 or thereabouts. He made it seem quite serious. I told hm that id only days earlier had the central heating fitted and that surely if there was any danger the previous installer would have pointed it out. He said that perhaps the previous one just let it go as he wanted to get on with fitting the central heating. Now this made me wary and so i asked him if this work was really neccessary, after umming and arring he told me that it was in the permitted level and so he would give me an advsiory certificate. My question is, is this correct, do i have a leak, would the central heating guy have spotted that and if it is a leak at 2bar over 2 mins ( thats what he wrote on the certificate. Is it anything to worry about. There is no gas fire in the property just the central heating . i just got the impression that this guy wanted to make a quick £200 whilst he was there. thanks for any advice.

It's millibar. To be honest it sounds like he was trying to shake you until your teeth rattled.

The right thing to do is to contact your boiler GSR and let him know what this boy said.

And if you're truly worried you should contact the gas provider on 0800 111 999. They'll give you a safety check free of charge.

Strangely , under certain circumstances you can have a small gas leak, but the attitude of the guy sounds very very wrong

thank you for the replies, im going to contact the original central heating installer and see what he says.

A minor leak with no discernable smell of gas.

Take it you can't smell anything?

If you previously had storage am I right in saying this is also a new gas pipe?

in which case there shall be 0mbar loss across the system in any circumstance.

even if I went in 5 days after I would treat it as new not existing.

And depending on your meter type there is also a possibility you are not allowed any movement on the test gauge

i would call the original engineer back and if he finds no drop which he shouldnt on a new install i would be haveing serious words with the kitchen company over their gas fitter trying it on

Did he find the leak before or after he did the pipework for the Hob?

If you have got a leak and the pipework isn't buried, it shouldn't take long or £200 to find and fix.

But as above if it's all new the C-heating installer needs to look at it first.

You are only allowed a permissible drop on an existing installation with existing appliances connected. If the heating engineer has installed a complete new gas carcus or there was no other appliances connected to the exisitng gas pipework when the new boiler was installed then you are not allowed to have a drop. No drops are allowed on pipework or new installs.

Did you have a gas cooker/ hobb that has been removed as part of the kitchen refit? did the kitchen fitter remove this appliance? only a gas safe registered engineer can remove/ disconnect a gas appliance as part of work done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to safety issue question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job he did he overcharged me, caused a little damage in my kitchen where he was working and after many requests has not provided me with a receipt ( 7...
Replies
Views
Hello all I have had an extension built which will have 3 radiators to the big main room, a utility sink and a shower room (ground works, waste, and pipes etc are in) The builder is not installing the sanitary ware as I will have to save up in order to fit the shower room in a few years time...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
I have an 8 year old Potterton HE Gold combi boiler losing pressure. I have isolated the central heating to leave just water heating and it is fine. As soon as the central heating is introduced the pressure drops to zero within an hour. I have had floor boards etc up but cannot find a leak...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock