Discuss 6128 or 6129? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear what you are saying Newbie. And it's a good point.

The point I was making was different.

It was in response to the comments in the thread about no work, no decent money. Sure in the south people have more money. But every thing is much more expensive.

The real problem for us plumbers is we don't know how to earn proper money. When the paying public heard and thought we were all earning 60k a year (like the press says) there was uproar. "60k for repairing taps and bending pipes!" We don't get our message over well enough. Why shouldnt we have better money. We give more value to society than poxy lawyers.

How many illnesses have been avoided because of decent sanitation?? probably saved more lives than penicillin. We have to change the publics perception of what we are worth. Then we can charge what we should be charging. Rather than having to justify dopey day rates all the time

I think to be honest this is where the problem lies. The media picked on plumbers saying they all earn mega bucks. And why not come it looks easy enough. Then the suits picked up on it and opened the cc college I went to one. Nor am I ashamed of it.

I have worked very hard since doing my course and continue to do so. But please anyone who goes to these courses you need to be aware what you will learn is the tip of the iceberg.

I remember my first job and was really nervous , I have learnt the hard way and continue to do so. Today was replacing a bath free of charge. the reason was the original bathroom installed badly. getting the panel off to change some taps and crack :(

But you have to take the rough with the smooth and get on with it.
It takes years to build a good reputation minutes for a bad one, and its about attitude as to how you handle it.

In some ways I have been lucky I am prepared to do work other plumbers in my area wont do ie drain clearing. I spend alot of time with gas guys and servicing seems to be easy money.

But then what happens went you cant diagnose what the problem is then it gets hard. It then becomes even harder if you really dont know what your doing and end up killing someone through poor standards of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't agree with you more Gassy. When I tell my friends I'm doing a plumbing course, I get the same response every time.....'wow mate, good on ya, I hear plumbers make heeps of money!'

The government have completely tarnished the reputation of the plumbing trade by constantly advertising this "recession proof" job that will get you earning 40k no problem. I my self wanted to take up plumbing before the recession hit, and was rather peeved to see TV advertisements on Dave for plumbing and electrical courses. They were also in newspapers and EVERYWHERE on job sites. VERY frustrating. So yeh, kind of went off topic there....my point is, with every member of the public reading what a fortune plumbers make, doing a job that frankly a vast majority can do no problem, why pay them loads just to fix my tap?

I think we should start an online campaign. To tell the public just what value we add to society. Raise their perceptions of us!

We should start by stopping selling ourselves short all the time. ÂŁ200 a day sounds expensive to most out there because they compare it to their take home pay.

They don't realise that this includes all our overheads, advertising, van, fuel, pl insurance, gas safe registration, accountant fees etc etc. Blow me ÂŁ200 a day is rubbish!

We need to charge a minimum ÂŁ300 a day and if the customer wants to knock you down and pay you less, walk away, because it is the wrong type of customer to build your business on. if you go in cheap they will recommend you to their friends who will all want the same low rate, trust me, I know because I have had it myself.

And what is more, the next time a cheaper plumber knocks on their door, they will drop you like a stone. So you will not have any chance of putting prices up in the future.

It's a 2 way thing. You provide a service and they pay for it. don't let them hold you to ransom.

The courses are just a money-spinner playing on peoples insecurities cashing in on the credit crunch. I'd say you've got just as much chance as a firm setting you on as a proper apprentice as you have in finding a placement after getting your 2-3 week fast track qualification.

I'm a third year apprentice and I learn something new everyday, on site and in college. How the F... do you justify ÂŁ3000-5000's worth of 'training' in 2-3 weeks - and to think it's a class of what 10 or more paying that much!?

You'd be better off spending ÂŁ100 on a few books and reading - R.D Treloar for domestic plumbing or Faber & Kell heating & air con of buildings for H&V.

My company is one of the biggest Mechanical & Electrical providers in the UK and since joining them my hourly rate has gone up - but my hours have gone down..I'm earning less than when I first started!! Same for the timeserved old boys - they're earning their lowest wage packets they've ever had!

My mates who're housebashers are even worse off, one works just 3 days a week while the other is lucky to end up with ÂŁ250 a week!

I don't know if this is just old-age & bitterness from the old boys in the trade but they all tell me and all the younger lads to get out the game once I've got my papers saying the industry is F'd and whatnot...I love my job, but it is not what everyone expects by no means is this game easy money or a comfortable number where you can waltz in and earn a mint.

Theres thousands fighting for hardly any jobs..

I'd look into getting an apprenticeship in Tunneling or something obscure that will have solid work for a few year..

undertaker now there is a true recession proof industry plumbing and gas has been swamped and is ready for a fall

Be a politician and you can claim what you want, have months off on holiday, get another property paid for and then just stay down the road in a hotel paid for by the taxpayer, then get on tv in the house of commons(asleep) whilst they're debating how the country is run!!! Then if you've failed to do your job well or made fraudulent claims get a golden handshake, can't be bad....where's my application form!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6128 or 6129? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock