Discuss Wobbly radiator and wobbly body. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
1. Wobbly radiator:

You know how they can be shifted from left to right on their brackets once fitted, but once pipe up and full of water they are stable. Well did 5 today and one remained able to be shifted left and right quite easily. Never had that before. It's not a tiny rad or anything, definetly sat on it's brackets properly, all connections water-tight. Planning in clipping vertical pipework tails to wall. That the best solution?

2. Wobbly body:

Can anyone offer me assuring, soothing words that the phase I'm in will pass. At the moment, not so long been working on my own, I almost feel I shouldn't take on long jobs because I don't eat, don't take a break (can't bare to until I'm done, no matter how much I tell myself I will before I begin) and pay no attention to my body when it wants a rest or is in pain and I end up coming home ruined. Is this normal and will I start to mellow out and take breaks etc or am I just a freak who will end up totalling his body?

Last edited:
1,never had that did it have shims on the brackets?2,you will wreck your body

Yep, had this shims. Remember checking they were in place.

And did you ever act that way or have you always been disciplined in looking after yourself and taking breaks?

i dont take breaks when working for myself, dont really feel hungry ! but when working for my old firm i used to love my brakes and feel sick if i didnt eat, a quick snack before you start and if your doing good then a quick bite at lunch but dont take much breaks ! usually tend to find your mind is too focused on the job at hand, so you dont feel the hunger lol until after your finished

I have not had a problem with rads in this way if on brackets ok,maybe put a little silicon on brackets to steady and in future change make

I never stop for breaks while on bigger jobs but remember to keep the fluid in take up. get a small coke bottle ect and keep filled with water and drink regularly

imho

That's exactly why I don't take breaks. Too distracted by the job to be aware of any hunger. Prob is that naturally translates into not being aware of most other physical feelings too. So the second I'm done for the day I realise I ache in a way I'm certain wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if I'd regularly paused, stretched legs etc.. My old boss used to do so but I get the feeling he had no choice because of years of ignoring his body. He also wore back-braces, knee and elbow supports - all because going at it too hard earlier in his career. I'm just hoping I'll get into a habbit sooner rather than when it's too late. Some of you guys are probably built like iron, unfortunatel I'm not. I'm strong but def not built to last.

i have a dodgy back as it is, fell off a roof in my younger years not been the same since. Have had physio, acupuncture the lot lol doesnt work though just need to regulary do stretches at least

1. Never seen a wobbly rad, or at least not one that wobbles after being piped. Do like the silicone tip though, filed away for future use if needed.

2. Always stop for dinner when on my own (normally into the van for comfy seat, bit of radio, quick read of paper and a sandwich) , never bother stopping at 10 or 3, always get the customer complaining that your tea will go cold if you don't stop and drink it. When working with some of the other lads it's 10, 12.30 and 3. Sausage roll and tea at ten, sarnie and tea at 12.30 and ginger biscuits and tea at 3.

Always have plenty of fluids through the day, and swear by my knee pads in the work pants.

1 No doubt like all of us when you level up your rad brackets you actually mark your verticle lines bang in the centre of your radiator lugs therein lies the solution to your problem move these lines closer to where the lugs are welded to the rad so as to restrict the play in the
movement left to right hope this works for you as it has for me:)

2 No matter how tight you maybe for time always have a short break 10 to15 mins take something to eat and drink with you so you do not have to leave the job as you will only be storing up problems for the future look after yourself its your duty to yourself and your family:)...best regards turnpin

Hmmm ... full day's work. Arrive at 8:30am. Chat to customer till about 8:50am. Get tools and start at 9:00am. Stop at 9:05am and go off to merchants for a part. Stop at 10:00am for bait. Start at 10:35am. Another chat to customer till about 11:00am. Stop at 13:00pm. Start at 13:30pm. Stop at 13:40pm to return to merchants ...

In reality if it's up to a half day I don't stop. If a full day I either have a good 1/2 hour for lunch or 20 mins or so at 10:00am and about 15 mins for lunch with a 5 minute break in the afternoon. If I've arrived by 8:30am and don't leave until after 5pm (or sometimes nearly 6pm) the customers don't seem to mind me taking breaks at all. When working with other trades or my plumbing mate the breaks tend to be longer but so do the days.

i'm lucky then!!! i'm one of the anti-social, persecuted minority that still like a smoke! means i go outside regularly for a few minutes and just chill for a while. only talking today about my knees, shot to pieces, struggling with them for the last week, so try to not spend too much time on them and take regular breaks from awkward positions etc. As I got older i decided i don't care if a job takes longer and i'm slightly worse off, i hated going home feeling exhausted and fit for nothing else, so as well as the **** i always have some form of a lunch stop even if it's only 20mins or so, besides doctors always said better to eat small amounts at regular intervals than one big dinner at night.

I've just got to learn to consider looking after myself as much a part of my professional development as perfecting skills and learning the trade.

Will dab on some silicone onto brackets. Prob clip pipes as well. When you're not sure in advance how far off wall the pipes are, are these the kind of things to go for ?... Are they adjustable as in by how far they project off wall?

Adjustable-Pipe-Clip-And-Back-Plate_large.jpg

why silicone? dont you have any screws or a drill? you can get 'female' backplates and cut m10 studding to length in between clip and bracket.

If the rad is small enough to lift off the brackets yourself take it off and tap the hangers in a bit. This will make the plastic insert on the bracket touch the rad and hold it steady.

Never took a break as such at work for 30 years. Drink plenty coffee tho. Get yourself a flask cup and drink it throughout the day and get it refilled every time they offer. You get used to cold coffee. Chocolate keeps you ticking over too.
If i'm doing jobbing stuff i'll have something to eat if i pass somewhere.
Nothing does my nut in more than someone religiously taking breaks just because it is break time.

Yep, had this shims. Remember checking they were in place.

And did you ever act that way or have you always been disciplined in looking after yourself and taking breaks?

no not very disciplined sometimes miss food if i am busy

I have had wobbly rads before where there has been a small crack where they have not been welded properly on the back of the rads . have a lil nose !!

My health is in a pathetic state ,,,,,,,diabetic type 1 oh the joy lol

If the rad is small enough to lift off the brackets yourself take it off and tap the hangers in a bit. This will make the plastic insert on the bracket touch the rad and hold it steady.

Never took a break as such at work for 30 years. Drink plenty coffee tho. Get yourself a flask cup and drink it throughout the day and get it refilled every time they offer. You get used to cold coffee. Chocolate keeps you ticking over too.
If i'm doing jobbing stuff i'll have something to eat if i pass somewhere.
Nothing does my nut in more than someone religiously taking breaks just because it is break time.

Nothing does my nut in more than someone religiously taking breaks just because it is break time.[/QUOTE]
now that really winds me up,apprentice in work always on the phone,having a ***,being a muppet or scratching his bum went mental with him on monday,told him to leave his phone in the house

now that really winds me up,apprentice in work always on the phone,having a ***,being a muppet or scratching his bum went mental with him on monday,told him to leave his phone in the house[/QUOTE]

Lol i know exactly how you feel !!!

yeah they will slide the side to side if the wall behind is perfect, obviously if it isnt it will pinch the brackets a bit and hold the rad better. Iv always found this anyway.

To be honest I think your a bit of a muppet if you dont stop all day. I work with to many people who do it and they dont fair well... having to dose up on caffine and sugar isnt really healthy and you only get one body. Spoke to too many blokes who did it and suffer too much from the stress they put themselves under. I just tend to stop for half hour at lunch and maybe a cup of tea occasionally depending on the customer. Did stop alot more when i was employed, but its nice to give that bit more effort when it your own work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wobbly radiator and wobbly body. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Hello I want to replace the old single panel rad in the bedroom with a K2 double panel Stelrad one. I think I'm OK in general and relatively...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant ecotec plus 831 (one with small circle buttons) and it has passed gas service not long ago. However, the problem I have is when...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock