Discuss why did they do this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andekoch

I was asked to look at why the 1st floor rads were all cold by a friend the other day and noticed that the flow and return were connected at the last rad (see pic). The downstairs rads all noce and warm and upstairs almost room temp while the flow and return pipes upstairs about the same temp and hot.
boiler is a std worcester bosch danesmoor 15/19 oil fired boiler with flow and return on CH and flow and return on DHW circuits.
Now from my experience when something odd seems to have been done there is normally a reason for it so was wondering if anyone can give any ideas why the original installer may have done this, I cant think of a reason and want to cap this off so that the flow actually goes through the rads and the system can be sensibly balanced. All I can think is it is useful to flush the flow and return pipes without going through the rads.
Ideas?

Attachments

• Image0041.jpg
    Image0041.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 100
:D

My hands were going quicker than my brain Same thing happens when i see a greasy scotch pie:D

you dont get evans steamed pies up in Scotland tamz i have been known to de tour to there shop for one pity i cant post you one dont think it would travel well LOL

I'm puzzled here. On a standard two pipe system the flow goes from the boiler and the return returns to the boiler. The radiators tee off the flow and tee back into the return. At some stage the flow and return have to join up surely? And isn't the picture above the "join up" part?

Sorry to be boring and not talk about pies by the way ...

I'm puzzled here. On a standard two pipe system the flow goes from the boiler and the return returns to the boiler. The radiators tee off the flow and tee back into the return. At some stage the flow and return have to join up surely? And isn't the picture above the "join up" part?

thats ok mate back on topic pies are hijacking the thread again

A photo of a one pie system.Onepipe.jpg

Obviously Gregs the Baker was not involved with this system:eek:

surely the join up of the feed and return for the boiler would be the last radiator on the circuit?

surely the join up of the feed and return for the boiler would be the last radiator on the circuit?

I could be corrected but if you wanted to turn the last radiator off then the water wouldn't return.

I'll check in again tomorrow - too much ribena!!

so how do I then get heat into the ist floor rads if the path of least resistance for the flow is to bypass the rads.
ground floor has lock shield side (and flow side) just cracked open and 1st floor seems to have lockshields fully open from the few I looked at.

i cannot see the problem myself, i remember eating this lovely cornish pasty and i was half way through it and i got mugged by a seagull .I was gutted

Clearly the problem is that there is no mention of brown sauce at all, or whether the pie's been heated to an adequate temperature.

as for getting temperature around the house you may very well find, if you're lucky and have any sauce based accompaniments, that there is a balancing valve on the circuit somewhere.

Classic hand pulled bend by the way!

just looked at your one pipe diagram. the system my mate has is definately not one pipe since there are 2 pipes at all of the rads with the flow going into the rad from one of the pipes and the return from the rad going into another pipe not both into the one pipe as would be in a one pipe system.
from reading the posts I am thinkign more and more that the originall installer thought " if the flow and return are not connected at the end how does the flow return if the last rad is closed off", the answer is through the other rads of course.
I think I will block this "bypass".

Sweet! (Says one old Croydon boy to another!)

I'd really impress him Andy, and tidy all that pipework up, do away with that hand pulled bend!

Then take him for a pie!

When I was last over about a year ago, would I be right in thinking I saw a pie and mash shop at the end of Surrey Street, near the KFC somewhere?

if thats the case then the pipe (or pies) on show are the circs? not normally the case

I could be corrected but if you wanted to turn the last radiator off then the water wouldn't return.

I'll check in again tomorrow - too much ribena!!

doesnt need to return if its a 2 pie system and the rads is off. either a 1 pie system or someone who dont know what hes doing

im hungy

just looked at your one pipe diagram. the system my mate has is definately not one pipe since there are 2 pipes at all of the rads with the flow going into the rad from one of the pipes and the return from the rad going into another pipe not both into the one pipe as would be in a one pipe system.
from reading the posts I am thinkign more and more that the originall installer thought " if the flow and return are not connected at the end how does the flow return if the last rad is closed off", the answer is through the other rads of course.
I think I will block this "bypass".

then its a bypass and no need for it, unless you put a variable bypass valve on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to why did they do this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock