Search the forum,

Discuss Water Tank in cupboard disaster in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Loblonde

Hi, can anybody help? Just before Christmas I heard bubbling noises coming from the hot water tank that sounded like a kettle boiling. I ignored it for couple of hours untill i smelt something like steam in the hallway.
When i went out into the passage all my hallway was like a sauna!! I opened the door to the tank to find it boiling hot and boling water leaking from the pipes. I turned down both thermostats, there are 2 swuitches one near the top which was off and one near the bottom underneath which was on the bubbling noise stopped when i turned it off.:( Later i could hear terrible cracking noises like the tank was contracting or something:confused:

Now unless i turn up the 2 thermostats to almost 80 degree i can't get hot water, plus i have to keep switching the bottom switch on but get that bubbling noise after a while. My flat is 14 yrs old with stupid storage heaters. Please any idea what's happened? Do I need a new hot water tank?:confused: I don't have thousands to spend right now:confused:

If the water was boiling, it sounds like the thermostat is broken. I assume by tank you mean a copper cylinder?

Do you have a tank in the loft? If so, could the pipes have frozen? This would cause a cylinder to stretch when the water heats up and make the cracking noises you describe. If this has happened, it would need to be inspected to see if it is still usable or can be repaired.

Post a photo of your "tank"

Last edited:
You require two new immersion heater ,as old damaged,the new ones will have built in high limit thermostats also ,to stop the siduation that happened to you,the immersions themselves should be checked

Last edited by a moderator:
I am no expert but I think one thermostat might be the evening one (economy 7) and other one for the day time.

alder is right , but only a sparky can bye pass economy 7 to test ,

Sparky?? Just take it out the fused spur and either put a plug on it if you must. Any fault on a stat can be done via continuity anyway. This lady has a simple fault that any decent plumber should be able to sort out.

unless you have a combination cylinder Your lucky the boiling water hasnt gone up the overflow vent pipe and entered your water tank... This can cause them to melt and collapse...God forbid anyone sleeping underneath unknowengly..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Tank in cupboard disaster in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock