Search the forum,

Discuss Vibration in floor....felt through out flat. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 118828

#Rachiex
put a post up which ended in 2017 concerning a vibration throughout the flat waking him/her up between 11 pm and 4 am - this is happening to me. it is felt during the wintertime both in 2019/20 and in 2020/21. as the warmer days have come in I am not feeling it.
  • neighbour above has a new boiler and was felt before and after the new boiler was put in (combi boiler)
  • I have turned my electrics off and also my boiler with no effect
  • I live in a block of flats (think of a house chopped in 4) I live on the bottom right ground floor flat
  • I have tried to ask he neighbour above to turn his heating off and/or electrics too and he makes excuses up not to (not very helpful, tells me it is not him and blames it on someone else.
  • I read from "Rachiex" that turning the stopcock off may show if it is my flat, is this possibly the solution?

Any helpful comments, suggestions to what it could be are gratefully received. I do not wish to get a plumber out until I have at least a good idea of what it could be.
Many thanks,

I read from "Rachiex" that turning the stopcock off may show if it is my flat, is this possibly the solution?
It's worth trying. Other ideas:

Do you have, or can you obtain, access to the utility meters for the flats? If so, having a look at which of those are running when the noise is occurring may give useful clues as to whose using power/water.

11pm to 4am could be a washing / dishwasher machines being run on economy 7 electricity.

It's worth trying. Other ideas:

Do you have, or can you obtain, access to the utility meters for the flats? If so, having a look at which of those are running when the noise is occurring may give useful clues as to whose using power/water.

11pm to 4am could be a washing / dishwasher machines being run on economy 7 electricity.
Thank you Chuck for getting in touch, and will take a look!
I forgot to note that the vibrations 'can' be felt (but not on every day) in the lounge and study (second bedroom 2 bed flat) nearing the evening around 6 pm and so would be outside of the economy 7? I think.

I Will check on the utilities outside when it happens next.

Thank you Chuck for getting in touch, and will take a look!
I forgot to note that the vibrations 'can' be felt (but not on every day) in the lounge and study (second bedroom 2 bed flat) nearing the evening around 6 pm and so would be outside of the economy 7? I think.

I Will check on the utilities outside when it happens next.
Another idea... Is there a cellar ''sump pump' or similar that runs occasionally to prevent water building up under the building?

Another idea... Is there a cellar ''sump pump' or similar that runs occasionally to prevent water building up under the building?
As far as I know, there is not a cellar under the building, there is a manhole directly on the path outside in front of the building but unsure as to what is under there. it got allot worse yesterday when my neighbour upstairs was in.

Worthy note, from the neighbour above renovating his flat, he changed the boiler (combi boiler) by a contractor, but he redid his plumbing in the bathroom. also replaced the flooring from carpets throughout to tiles throughout. This is on a concrete base (thin floors/ceiling). Would the dynamics of the sound/vibrations from the boiler to the pipework cause this to resonate throughout my flat? and fluctuate depending on when the boiler is used? or do you think it is more likely to be something underground or outside.

The building has 4 flats, 3 of them are occupied while includes mine - thus this is a great time to find out what is going on.

Reply to Vibration in floor....felt through out flat. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, Thanks in advance for your advice... As the title mentions, my issue is with the water pipes of the house causing the floor to vibrate. I have singled out the issue to the joists that the floorboards sit on carrying the vibrations throughout the house. We do not have hot water...
Replies
Views
Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock