Search the forum,

Discuss Mains boost pump in top-floor flat in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Background
  • I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve.

• There is no loft space in the flat so It has a combination tank - copper open vented hot water cylinder with a built in cold feed tank - located in a cupboard in bedroom. It supplies hot water to the bathroom with a bath and small sink and to kitchen with a single sink and washing machine.

• Pressure is one bar. I’ve checked this and the flow rate at different times of the day and the flow rate is always a little under 8 litre per min - around 7.5. The flow doesn’t change during different times of the day and is consistent.
Changes I would like to make
  • I would like to remove the bath and instal a shower.

• I would like to remove the fortic/combination tank to free up the cupboard space in the bedroom as space is at a premium in such a small flat and replace with another solution for hot water.

• I would like to replace the electric wall heaters for another heating solution.

Advice needed
I’ve been looking at different solutions for all this but the main issue to resolve first is to get a solution to increase the pressure and flow rate

One option to boost the flow rate is to instal a Salamander Home Boost pump. This should hopefully increase the flow rate to 12 litres per min and pressure to 1.5 bar. Most of the information I can find online is about installing these mains booster pumps in in a standard home.

Question: Are there issues with installing a mains booster pump doing in a top-floor flat like mine e.g. impacting water flow for neighbours?

If a mains booster isn’t possible in top-floor flat I could put a water break tank and pump so it wouldn’t impact the neighbours and would give better flow rate and pressure - and maybe more options for the changes I want to make - but I would need to find the space for the water tank. I looked at a Powertank COMPACT – Fixed Speed Whole House Water Pressure Booster: 125ltr

Question: Would this be a better solution - or would it be overkill for a solution for a small flat like mine?

Last edited:
Do you know if you have a shared main eg each flat comes off the same pipe ?

Do you know if you have a shared main eg each flat comes off the same pipe ?
It's a typical property in the area in Hove built in mid 1800s - the cold water feed pipe running up to top floor flat can be seen in stairs below the flat then disappears. So am guessing we all have individual pipes coming into flats but they may join a shared pipe in property somewhere in ground floor or basement. I'm not sure if a property like this would have flats with water connected to mains directly.

Attachments

• CRH1086561.jpg
    CRH1086561.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 6
Probably all off one main hence your problem the issue is if you boost yours all the other flats will get worse and you could have complaints

Might be best speaking to all and maybe the water board to see if you could upgrade ?

Reply to Mains boost pump in top-floor flat in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock