Discuss Vertical flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spikeyhead

Hi. I have a boiler to fit in an airing cupboard in the middle of the house where the only option, other than relocating it to the gable end wall in the attic, is to use a vertical flue. Never fitted vertical flue before that goes up through tiled roof.. Would like some advice about breaking thro tiled pitched roof etc. The boiler in question is a worcester bosch. I have considered using a ridge vent but don't really like the idea of cutting the ridge board so I will settle for a pitched roof terminal. Many thanks:cool:

my serious advice would be to get someone to fit the terminal section of flue and slate piece for you, with you in attendance to keep him right on exact position, dont go on the roof unless you must

Simple enough job.

However its a bit fiddly. Some of the points are:

Access to roof? That is self explanatory, you can fall off if your not properly equipped.

Depending on type of roof, removing either slates or tiles are fairly easy. You need a ripper for slates and if your careful concrete tiles can be taken out by moving them up and to one side.

Some roofs are nailed so many rows and some have clips and some are just hooked on. If your in a high wind area like the seaside obviously they are going to be fixed tight.

Then you usually have to cut the slate battens to suit leaving a decent gap around for fire precautions, you then fit a lead or other type of weathering slate around the flue.

Then you have to replace the slates or tiles, cutting them as necessary. Usually a whizzer and stone disc for the concrete tiles and a slate knife or brick trowel (for the occasional job) to cut them. A slate hammers handy but perhaps if your only doing one or two you can make the nail holes in the slates easy enough with a cordless and drill bit.

If you want a bit more info just let us know.

Before hanging the boiler make sure there isnt a joist in the way of the flue, you will need a coulpe of 45s and extensions as you can rarly put them straight up without obstruction, get plenty of clips and clip it well, I used to do them off a ladder and crawlers, Iam more aware of my mortality now so my mate does a proper scaffold for me for ÂŁ250 ish.
Also remeber when quoting that a vertical flue can be 4x the cost of a standard one.

i bought a jetpac off of ebay which i use for such jobs also handy for clearing gutters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
T
Please excuse any naivety first, appreciate I'm posting in a forum of plumbing experts, when I am just a mere home owner with a completely...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Im having deep deep deep discussions with an architect about flues from a new boiler. He wishes to take the flue up thru' the attic and out...
Replies
Views
V
M
I have an open-vented heating system driven by an Ideal Mexico Super 2 CF125 floor-standing boiler (29-36kW). It must be getting on for 25 years...
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
T
Hi there Im new to this forum and extremely impressed on the scope, depth and advice of all sections. Which is why I joined up - its great. Im...
Replies
Views
Mike Jackson
M
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock