Search the forum,

Discuss Toilets constantly running after regenerating air-gap on Megaflo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

1st time poster here, hello all!

Recently moved into a property with a Megaflo system, started to have problems a few days ago.
Hot water wasn't coming through (boiler fired for a few seconds then cut out)
Constant dripping from overflow pipe

I don't know much about this system or plumbing in general so initially thought that these symptoms were somehow related, arranged for a boiler engineer (that I've used previously) to come round yesterday.

He identified that the air-gap in the system needed regenerating/replenishing - I had tried (and failed - shut off incorrectly identified cold mains) to do this the night before with no joy.

He sorted the air gap, confirmed that the overflow drip was due to a pipe that was leaking (not the tundish one), think it was connected to a Flexcon expansion vessel (this had also lost pressure so he sorted this too).

Although he said that this was unrelated to the boiler not staying fired for the hot water, this did seem to resolve the issue?, so all in all, boiler sorted, drip sorted, systems (megaflo and expansion vessel) both re pressurised.

However, today I've noticed that 3 out of the 4 toilets are constantly running (both upstairs and one downstairs).

Would love any pointers, have checked some previous posts online but these seem to be related to individual toilet faults, whereas it seems as though the issues I have now got could be as a result of the fixes that we implemented yesterday rather than individual components on the toilets.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Sounds like washers need replacing in bogs. When water turned off muck in or last straw for loos?

Hi,

1st time poster here, hello all!

Recently moved into a property with a Megaflo system, started to have problems a few days ago.
Hot water wasn't coming through (boiler fired for a few seconds then cut out)
Constant dripping from overflow pipe

I don't know much about this system or plumbing in general so initially thought that these symptoms were somehow related, arranged for a boiler engineer (that I've used previously) to come round yesterday.

He identified that the air-gap in the system needed regenerating/replenishing - I had tried (and failed - shut off incorrectly identified cold mains) to do this the night before with no joy.

He sorted the air gap, confirmed that the overflow drip was due to a pipe that was leaking (not the tundish one), think it was connected to a Flexcon expansion vessel (this had also lost pressure so he sorted this too).

Although he said that this was unrelated to the boiler not staying fired for the hot water, this did seem to resolve the issue?, so all in all, boiler sorted, drip sorted, systems (megaflo and expansion vessel) both re pressurised.

However, today I've noticed that 3 out of the 4 toilets are constantly running (both upstairs and one downstairs).

Would love any pointers, have checked some previous posts online but these seem to be related to individual toilet faults, whereas it seems as though the issues I have now got could be as a result of the fixes that we implemented yesterday rather than individual components on the toilets.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi there dave theres a good chance that dirt has gotten into the cold main , as its unusual for all the WCs to go at the exact same time , the cause may have been that the water board might have been working on your cold water mains (outside) and some dirt has gotten in, your plumber will manage to fix issue no probs or u might manage yourself if you can access the appropriate washers, (builders merchant)

what exactly is meant by regenerating air gap on megaflo plz almost 50 still learning

Last edited:
what exactly is meant by regenerating air gap on megaflo plz almost 50 still learning

Mega flow (unvented cylinder) has an air bubble in the top of it to compensate for te expansion of the DHW when it's heated . Most cylinders have an external one. They operate on same principle as a ch expansion vessel apart from water is inside the rubber sack on a DHW one so it dosnt rust.

Basically the air is absorbed on a mega flow over time so u need to re generate. Involves draining off water.

I wonder if when the guy regenerated the air bubble he "fiddled" with the pressure reducing valve? Could be the reason for the dripping toilets.

Hi there I realised the expansion was within the megaflo unit had never heard of re generate before have googled it know and it all makes perfect sense thanks

I cannot see any way the megaflow work can directly effect the siphons in the wc's

So it can only be dirt stopping the bottom washer from seating down properly and allowing
the cistern to trickle into the pan. Easy just twist them off and have a look.

Unless something really silly and hot has happened to the cold supply deforming
the rubber seals ? no centralheatking

I cannot see any way the megaflow work can directly effect the siphons in the wc's

So it can only be dirt stopping the bottom washer from seating down properly and allowing
the cistern to trickle into the pan. Easy just twist them off and have a look.

Unless something really silly and hot has happened to the cold supply deforming
the rubber seals ? no centralheatking

who said it was the siphons? Could all be internal overflows?

Turned off water and we all know what happens someone flushes bog FOV opens and scale moves or rubber deforms. Used to get it a lot on system swaps or re pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilets constantly running after regenerating air-gap on Megaflo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I replaced the Pressure and Temperature relief valve on my MegaFlo CL300 (I had thought it was dripping but it turns out the overflow drip is coming from the 3bar safety relief valve for the red expansion vessel) Before I replaced the valve it would recharge the air bubble normally - the...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Heating System Have 2 houses where identical Heating systems installed (self & neighbour) In Dec both Baxi boilers were replaced with Viessmann Vittodens 30W due to ageing reliability issue. System is as per drawing Hot Water Draw off Thermal Store operates by the process that as DHW is drawn...
Replies
Views
Hi there Hoping for some advice on a plumbing issue. Bit of background - currently I am not using my gas central heating system. The system is 20+ years old and kept breaking down and various plumbers visited and fixed problems but advised system flushes or a range of options - essentially the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock