Discuss Soldering Problems. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easyt

I have not soldered pipes for 30 odd years. I have some soldered joints to do' I did a few test peices - no problem. Reheated and stripped to check good flow.

Made 3 joints afterwards fine. 4th joint failed and despite stripping, cleaning and refluxing and redoing several times - no joy.

Any thoughts.

Nobody say 'Get a Plumber' please.;);)

If it doesn't work first time, start with fresh pipe and fittings. Don't try and remake failed joints.

Did you wiggle the pipe in the fitting after taking the heat off before the solder had set?

Was the pipe hot enough for the solder to easily flow?

Is your flux fresh or is it what you had from 30 years ago?

Did you wire brush all the oxide film back to bright?

as above and make sure not too much heat and is cleaned properly

make sure you wire wool the inside on the fitting as well!

If it doesn't work first time, start with fresh pipe and fittings. Don't try and remake failed joints.

Did you wiggle the pipe in the fitting after taking the heat off before the solder had set?

Fresh flux and Solder.

Must have been hot enough as Elbow joint to one pipe full cover, to 2nd pipe nil.

Have started again.

I take it that I can heat, open and remake a successful joint ?

Polished fittings and pipes till they shone with wire wool

as above and make sure not too much heat and is cleaned properly
Think too much heat could be a culprit but can't see why solder did not try to run on just one half of joint.
make sure you wire wool the inside on the fitting as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy yorkie fittings, and redo the elbows. U should have less issues with yorkies, far easier to work with

Water in pipe ?

Dry on the bench job.

Started again took the elbow off and krpt the section that had soldered OK. Cut a new piece for the one that wouldn't. Put a new elbow on. Seems OK this time. twisted them and no movement.and seems OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering Problems. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock