Discuss Soldering (End-Feed) Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

woodbine

I'm only a keen DIYer, but I like to use copper and solder fittings wherever I can. However, as I don't have massive experience, I have had a few variable results.

One or two joints have failed because solder didn't go the whole way around the joint. Sometimes, I also find it difficult to get the solder into the joint, and not just dribble down the outside.

Someone has pointed out that I should heat the fitting and the pipe, but I was originally shown just to heat the fitting.

Can someone tell me what I should do? Thanks

It's like anything with a bit of skill involved, it just takes practise. You can get the pipe/fitting too hot, not hot enough, not enough flux, not an even enough spread of flux. Unless you're simply determined to learn how to do it for it's own sake (which i suspect is the case) you could just use solder ring fittings.

Otherwise, if just doing it for the love of learning a skill - perfectly admirable - I'd suggest getting a few lengths of copper, bunch of fittings and just practise. You'll notice some work like a dream, others don't. Eventually you'll develop a sense of how to make it consistant, it's easy to describe the correct method but an ounce of practise is worth a pound of teaching.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes I admit I need more practice.

But to heat the fitting only, or the pipe as well where it enters the fitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering (End-Feed) Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, keen DIYer here. Installing an outside tap and have tried soldering the joints leading from the 15mm copper pipe to the mains pipe. My...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to connect 3/4" copper to 22mm copper in an old house. However it appears that the 3/4" is actually slightly smaller (measured at...
Replies
Views
Back