Discuss Price work per day in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im a sel employed plumber and have always quoted as per job and not on a day rate, somone heas asked me how much i charge per day as they have loads o little jobs that need doing. how much would you think is reasonable, im in north london/hertfordshire.

between 150-200 per day especially in london the most expensive place in the world to live

not now it about 3rd or 4th

the jobs you price, you minus materials which leaves your labour divided in to 8/10hr answer

if you price work has work for years don't fix it, only drop materials which leaves your rate

I work in West Sussex and charge £40 per hour presently - but intend to increase this to £45 per hour any day now. I don't have a 'day rate' as such, but of course if a job took me 8 hours (i.e. a 'day') I'd charge £320.

For jobs going over a day I give a bit of a discount, but I try to avoid jobs that will last more than 8 hours!!

This sounds rather expensive compared to what has been quoted in the posts so far, but usually my customers think they have got reasonable value.

£320 for an 8 hour job? Are you from Reactfast or something? If a job is going to take a few hours surley you work out a price for it? i.e. job thats gonna last a day £125 to £200 + price of materials.

Most of the jobbing plumbing is done by big firms who have probably a million pounds worth of advertising out in the market place, they are really only significantly in
competition with each other,

One man bands hardly measure in the scheme of things,

When I ran one of Londons emergency service companies I would find out on a daily
or even hourly basis what the competition was charging and drop or raise my prices
accordingly,

If any of you want to survive in this world you have to charge the going rate,

Right now looking around at the big boys it seems the going rate is £35-40 per Half
Hour..

I am currently ( and for the last 4-5 years ) basing my pricing on £400.00 a day
for the skilled man and £200.00 for a helper,

A person I know who hires out men with shovels to a water undertaking charges out
at £475.00 per man per day,

He pays his men £125-150.00 per day

I assume you are in London Bob ? Charge that 'up north' and you'll end up on the dole.

Hi guys

Have you seen the recent survey from Williams & Co? Its got a simple graph regarding average prices per hour for gas and plumbing work as well as you superstars who do boilers. (only a small sample however,) it seems it just depends on where you are and what you can get but about £45-55 per hour is a guideline..... myself = £40 per hour £200 per day. I tell the punter if its going to be work up to 5 hours its hourly but capped at the day rate, which I think is fair and no complaints yet. At the end of the day plumb-tech you have to eat and you no doubt want to sleep also and keep getting work so you have to find what's right for you. When I first started I thought £65 per hour was the rate for where I was...... the phone didn't ring much, but my handicap came down a lot!

Shepster

Here is an example of a London firms charges,

Our charges are uncomplicated and 100 per cent transparent. There are no hidden extras and there is no call out charge. In addition all customers are made aware of our rates at the time they book their job with our 24-hour call centre.
Hourly Rates: There is a minimum charge of one hour on all jobs, thereafter work is charged in 15 minute increments. All rates exclude the cost of materials and are subject to 15% VAT.
Fixed Price: Written and verbal quotations are available from our engineers or we are happy to make an appointment for an estimator to assess your job. All quotations are subject to 15% VAT.
No Extras: Customers will not be charged for parking, the time engineers spend travelling to jobs, or the London congestion charge

Mon - Fri
7am - 6pm
Mon - Fri
6pm - 12am
Saturday
7am - 12am
Sunday
7am - 12am
Mon - Sun
12am - 7am
General Trades £80 £130 £130 £140 £170 Gas Safe Register Engineers £90 £140 £140 £150 £180 Drain Jetting £150 £200 £200 £200 £200 Boiler Service *£120 *£150 *£150 *£170 - Gas Safety Cert. *£120 *£150 *£150 *£170 - Surveys *£250 - - - - Charges are per hour except those marked with a * which denotes Fixed Price work

cheers for the reply's i charge £45 per hour or £150-200 per day if i tried to charge over £300 per day i would have no customers left.

£320 for an 8 hour job? Are you from Reactfast or something? If a job is going to take a few hours surley you work out a price for it? i.e. job thats gonna last a day £125 to £200 + price of materials.
reactfast 8 hour job would be£750 to £800 for 8 hours £320 ok for 8 hours we all have overheads ,van,adverts,cloaths ,insurence,pension ,and you need to make a profit or how will you survive hard tmes

I go on hours, £30 per hour barring the first. If I do 50 hours in a week thats at least £1500.00. To get 50 hours paid work in a week I do at least 10 unpaid hours(calculations, estimating, driving,etc). If I can do a job in 10-11 hours in one day then I charge appropriatley.

reactfast 8 hour job would be£750 to £800 for 8 hours £320 ok for 8 hours we all have overheads ,van,adverts,cloaths ,insurence,pension ,and you need to make a profit or how will you survive hard tmes
If your a big firm and sending lads out then yes I agree. For a one man band £320 for a daily rate a bit steep IMHO. I tend to put a price in for a larger job or boiler repair and don't have the clock ticking or the customer up a hight as everyone knows the score before comencing job. Obviously if doing a heating install or bathroom I always put a quote in and charge accordingly depending on customer and expertise required.

Last edited by a moderator:
£300 per day ???:eek: can i have a job with you :p

I personally charge £35ph, and £200 for a full day ( plus materials obviously)

I find at the moment its more smaller jobs then big, but patience is a virtue !!

As a customer, if plumbers charge too much I don't hire them. Just got another quote to finish off cloakroom and far more reasonable than the £750 from one plumber and will go with that. Also was quoted £7000 for upstairs bathroom, I thought it was £6K but was another £1K. God knows why. Obviously didn't hire him. I would understand if the bathroom was 5M x 6M, wanted expensive tiling, walk in shower, and a large whirpool bath.

Over quote by being greedy, and you won't get the job. Do that all the time and you may as well just sign on.

Yesterday I ripped out an old vanity unit and replaced it with a customer-supplied new one. I had to assemble the unit from a flat-pack, tailor it to fit, kit it out with the supplied brassware, re-route the supplies and waste, then seal in the inset basin.

The customer had been recommended me by a neighbour I had done some work for over a year ago. She had asked me for an estimate for the work, and I reckoned from past experience it would take the best part of a day (8 hours) to do it properly. So I applied my £45 per hour rate and quoted her 8 x 45 = £360 maximum, plus some materials (around £20 guessed). She was happy with this and asked me to go ahead.

In the event it took me 7 hrs 20 mins (and several cups of coffee) so I charged her £330 labour plus £29 materials (isol. valves, trap, sealants, new pipework and fittings, and some new waste pipes and fittings). This was below the original estimate.

She and her family were delighted with the end result - I have to say it did look good! - and paid up with no problem. Everyone was happy, including me!

The point I am making is that if you are recommended, and do a good job, and present a friendly and professional manner to your customers, and keep your word, you can charge much more than the £200 'day rate'.

Yesterday I ripped out an old vanity unit and replaced it with a customer-supplied new one. I had to assemble the unit from a flat-pack, tailor it to fit, kit it out with the supplied brassware, re-route the supplies and waste, then seal in the inset basin.

The customer had been recommended me by a neighbour I had done some work for over a year ago. She had asked me for an estimate for the work, and I reckoned from past experience it would take the best part of a day (8 hours) to do it properly. So I applied my £45 per hour rate and quoted her 8 x 45 = £360 maximum, plus some materials (around £20 guessed). She was happy with this and asked me to go ahead.

In the event it took me 7 hrs 20 mins (and several cups of coffee) so I charged her £330 labour plus £29 materials (isol. valves, trap, sealants, new pipework and fittings, and some new waste pipes and fittings). This was below the original estimate.

She and her family were delighted with the end result - I have to say it did look good! - and paid up with no problem. Everyone was happy, including me!

The point I am making is that if you are recommended, and do a good job, and present a friendly and professional manner to your customers, and keep your word, you can charge much more than the £200 'day rate'.

Good post AL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Price work per day in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock