Currently reading:
Please, really need some help with this boiler problem.

Discuss Please, really need some help with this boiler problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Westwood

Hi All,

I come seeking help. I don't know what else to do!

I have a Glow Worm Compact 100e Fanned Flue Combination Boiler. A few weeks ago it started to randomly go into 'Boiler Lockout' and the little red light would turn on. From watching what happens it seems that it can no longer detect when I need hot water and when I dont. It is permanently heating hot water even when the hot taps are all off. Because of this the heating does not work and I am cold! :(

Anyway I had a plumber come round and open her up and he said that the pressure switch that triggers hot water was permanenetly switched on and when he took it out it was full of this black silt like stuff. He said the switch would need replacing and the the system could do with a clear out to stop it getting all gunged up again.

So that is what he did, still did not work. Pressure gauge on the front was put together using some selotape (must have been like that when I moved in) so he replaced that. Still not working. He replaced the computer circuit board thingy. Still nothing. He used a power flush device to clean out the whole system. Still not working. So I am £200 out in parts alone and can still only get hot water. Has anyone any idea what else could be causing this? I have absolutly no idea how it all works so any ideas appreciated.

1 plumber says I need a new boiler but would not give any idea why other than mine is 'knackared'. But most of it has been replaced (In the last 2 years it also had a new fan). The boiler can only be 7 or 8 years old (flat was built then).

One thing worth mentioning. It has what looks like a little escape air pipe on the top. Sometimes when the boiler is not lighting if you cover this pipe with your finger it lights immediately. Is that something to do with air pressure? Is this likely to have anything to do with the hot water/heating problem?

Any ideas at all welcome.

Many thanks to all :)

Could be, its probably a flue products sampling point, is the cap missing>

well the hot water seal and micro switch replacement seems correct as common fault on this boiler
when you say you cover air escape pipe on top,is this when casing all put on correctly,if so pipe should have a cap over it all the time as if left open ,you are lowering fan pressure to switch,if you keep covered does heating work ok

Hi Guys. Thanks for the replies.

Funny you should say that about the cap. I found this little red plastic thing that looks a lot like a cap down the back of the boiler after I posted last night. I guess it must have come off when the boiler was being looked at. Either way I could not get it to fit back on so assumed it was not for that. I will try a bit harder later.

@puddle - Yes this is when all the covers are on.

I actually covered the pipe with a glass to make a seal before I had a shower this morning and it seemed to make a difference to the speed the water got hot and the temperature of the water.

Unfortunatly still no heating. It just wants to heat water all the time!

Puddle, what is the hot water seal? Is that the bit the pushes the micro switch when the right pressure is there?

Thank for your help and any other ideas.

Well the plastic pipe at the top of the boiler needs sealing to allow correct operation,as said if not fan pressure will not be enough to operate switch also requires sealing for safety
Then hot water will hopefully work ok

The heating not working could be a few things on this boiler
The lock out problem will have been sorted when hot water micro switch replaced as when stuck on it was causing the boiler to lock out on over heat
Was the heating working ok before the hot water was fixed

Does the boiler make any sound like trying to work when heating on,if not first thing check all controls are set correctly to on,then would check heating thermistor on boiler or divertor valve could be stuck in hot water position
There is a pump flow switch on this boiler ,is that operated when heating is put on if not and pump running ,could be the filter is blocked on the return pipework in boiler
As you can see,you are going to require an engineer,it is a pity you have spent so much so far
My customers pay me when the boiler is working,you should not be paying for items you did not require,especially when left with boiler not working correctly
You are going to have to find an engineer who knows this boiler,the manufactorers used to have an approved list but now think most try to repair them selves for a nice fixed fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please, really need some help with this boiler problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back