Search the forum,

Discuss Must it be a Van in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lead-Free

Hi there.

I am in a bit of an argument here with my self. I want to buy a new van (well need one) But I also want to buy a nice shiny 4x4.

My problem is this, The way I see it the van is the shop front and I tend to look at it like this, if you go to the Doctor you expect him to wear a suit, or a white coat or something down that line but you don`t expect him to wear adventure clothing.

Now for me the same counts for us plumbers, I think a van shows that you are professional and that you have the rite tool for the job, but if you park down the road in a small car I will question whether you are a real plumber or sparky or what ever.

Now all this might just be snobbery and me living and believing in the old ways , but I see more and more other types of vehicles being used for what they would not normally be used for.

I know a 4x4 might not be as practical as a van not even close, but I like the look of it and I would prefer having just one vehicle instead of two.

So if I convince my self to go for a 4x4 instead of the van, would I look less professional and would customer think like that or don`t they care any more.

What is your thought`s or experience on this matter? bad or good.

My doctors wear shorts in the summer!

In my opinion, for advertising a liveried van shows a better tradesman whereas a car (especially 4x4) might indicate high prices , but most calls come via the phone from an newspaper advert or the Yellow Pages or internet etc and no one sees the vehicle before they ask you to call.

When you do call a customer is much more concerned about how you do your job than whether you arrived on a pony and trap or bicycle. One tradesman I had in a while ago turned up in a clapped out estate car but I didn't care because he did a good job.

If you're in a rural area, you just might pick up winter customers purely because you have a 4x4. (I used my wife's all the time in the first 2-3 weeks of this year to ensure I got to my customers on time.)

Another disadvantage of a van (as I've just found out) is when you insure a van (comprehensive insurance!) you do not have insurance to drive other vehicles unless you're a named driver on those policies. This can be a stupid pain in the behind but it's the insurance industry standard. Only way you can do this is buy owning and insuring a car.

On a day to day practicality basis, a van beats a car every single time and it doesn't matter if it gets messy inside (which it definitely will sometimes). If you want the car for the family it means unloading all the tools, fittings, sandwich wrappings, newspapers, etc everytime and this can be a nuisance.

i work for a company so have a transit for work but i bought a navara 4x4 for sticking golf clubs in, taking the dogs a walk and doing the odd job for myself. For golf and the dogs its perfect but its hard work getting in the back to search for parts etc!

i fancy one of those navaras with the back cab so its like an extended 4 x 4

Have you seen what e-on drive? Thats the sort im on about

the E-on ones have got a high hard top with roller shutter sides havnt they? That would be good, mines just a van hard top so you have to jump in and crawl around on your hands and knees. I do like the bt land rovers with the roller shutter sides.

thats what i am planning on getting 4x4, then put it in the books for quoting etc.

I bought a Defender LWB van which has been essential for getting around to my rural customers this winter. Not the most comfy of vehicles but plenty of pulling power.

If you get a smaller 4x4 you can always buy a trailer for hauling large items such as baths and boilers.

Just a "heads up" Dacia is going to be exporting their range of cars, vans, plus a 4x4, into the UK soon, the 4x4 is reported to going on sale between £12000 & £15000

I am buying the cheapest model, a 2 door petrol/LPG version for just about £6000 new on the road

A few links in case anybody is interested

[DLMURL="http://english.bacauexpres.ro/2010/04/02/the-production-of-a-dacia-car-would-cost-by-2000-euro-more-in-france-than-romania.html"]The production of a Dacia car would cost by 2,000 euro more in France than Romania | Bacau Expres - Romanian news - english edition[/DLMURL]

[DLMURL="http://www.hourcar.com/dacia-duster-the-first-official-information.html"]Dacia Duster - The first official information « Sharing Car[/DLMURL]

Dailymotion - Dacia Sandero renault - une vidéo Auto et Moto

Dacia France - Constructeur automobile

Last edited by a moderator:
got a little kangoo van for work, wifes got a discovery (great this winter in the snow for work) and a covered trailer for large items (horse box!) . Hate using disco for work as you have to crawl over everything as no shelves etc.

One for van insurance, NFU van insurance allows you to drive any vehicle with road traffic act cover, good value as well.

both our vans are with nfu to cracking on price and service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Must it be a Van in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock