Search the forum,

Discuss lead work help ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

northstar

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi is there anyone on this site who specialize in lead work, or any sites ? need some advice regarding a flat bay roof ? many thanks

it is a flat bay roof, it has lead on it at the moment. It is 3.2m wide by 60cm depth what is the required code of lead? do you require a expansion joint for such a width?

i think you need an expansion joint every 1m although not an expert. justlead will be able to help

The length of each piece of lead will definately depend on the code used. The minimum you can use in this case, is 1.5m of code 4. I would tend to use code 6 for a quality job. But in any event if its fitted badly it don't realy matter. Useful reference from the lead developement association book.

You will need to split it into 2 bays with a roll. Could be done in code 5 but 6 will be better.
You can get advice from the LSA.

If you have never done this before get someone to do it. It will look better and be done right;)

It is not as easy as it looks.

Have you thought about the prep: Good firm 3/4" Ply base and should also be lined with Erskin felt before the lead gets laid.

might give it a go. if not at least i am geting the know how. How would you overlap the lead,or is there a particular joint you would use ? and would you use sealant? many thanks for all the replys so far. cant have enough knowledge :)

If you need to join on the flat. Normaly use a lead roll for the overlap. This is a very skilled to get a good job. Normaly its the back and front which is the difficult bit because they need to be properly dressed with out thinning the lead.

It is done with a wood cored roll like this
wood cored roll.JPG

It is not an easy thing to do. If it is done badly it will need done again in a few years if you are lucky.
Sealants are not used. Normally the underlay is now geotex.

Proper lead rolls are formed by 2" Round to Oval profile of timber with flate base. You take your bottom lap over the top a about 1" down the other side. Your top lap goes right the way over and out on the flat the other side about 2".

sopleyChurch-lead-big.jpg

Last edited:
Hi tamz it is a curved bay window, so if you used the wood roll to form the lead, i assume you would have to weld a bit on the front of the roll ?

75mm for the undercloak, 165 for the overcloak.

This really is not an easy thing to do.

You can weld it if you like but it is easier to dress it.........well it is for me:)

Hi I have done a bit of this. There are one or two points to consider. If using say code 5 sheet lead (the thinnest i would use) it is likley to cost £200 for the size you describe. The methods that are used are bossing and or lead welding and i think its fair to say they do not come naturally. The risks being, you damage the sheet lead beyond repair or burn the property down. The upside being once completed it will have a life expectancy in access of 70 years ( I done a bit in Paris that was 15 century, they wanted a bit added) However if its low level it may well get nicked.
If i can be of help i will. Which can include making it to an accurate drawing, photos and posting it for you to fit.

Everybody. That's how it is done. And, yes you leave the wood in.......unless you want to have a go at a hollow roll...but that is harder.

Justlead will keep you right. It is kinda his hobby;):cool:

my mistake tamz, did not explain properly. there is a expansion joint, it looks like a rubber strip with lead either side, anyone used one? thanks

Personaly I think the job is going to be difficult to get right if you have no lead working experience. A good lead worker should be able to complete the task in half a day, and thats bosses no lead burning. Difficult to get good lead workers though; at a premium same as thier prices.

T pren expansion joint. Piece of neoprene stuck to 2 bits of lead. T pren plus has a cover flap to cover the neoprene. Sold in 3m and 6 m lengths. Not cheap.

thanks reg man for the advice, done all the lead work at college on 6129 assesments, getting advice for friend on how it is done properly. thanks

£200 odd plus vat

Here
[DLMURL]http://www.britishlead.co.uk/downloads/t_pren_gutter_expansion.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just use a nice modern option, go for a fibreglass roof covering, then you can buy the missus a present withall the money saved, even a first timer can make a reasonable finish providing they follow some basic rules, which of course are preparation preparation and preparation followed with some resin, glass fibre and gell coat

which of course are preparation preparation and preparation followed with some resin, glass fibre and gell coat

I would get the mrs's to do it,does not sound much different from one of her make up sessions
:):)

Final say is with my friend, if he goes with lead dear but long lasting job or as oldplumber says go with fiberglass and resin and buy a nice present with the change? dilemas

Hi puddle,first floor bay window roof, sounds a bit tricky for the mrs and her makeup bag :)

Not only is lead longer lasting to say the least,it improves the look of the structure,making a lot more stylish and cost wise is not that bad in real terms.on a small area as this,
could even do a little pattering around top edge of bay :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fibreglass may be fine for modern new build schemes where the fibreglass will probably outlast the house but there really is no substitute for the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to lead work help ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock