Discuss lead work help ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

northstar

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi is there anyone on this site who specialize in lead work, or any sites ? need some advice regarding a flat bay roof ? many thanks

it is a flat bay roof, it has lead on it at the moment. It is 3.2m wide by 60cm depth what is the required code of lead? do you require a expansion joint for such a width?

The length of each piece of lead will definately depend on the code used. The minimum you can use in this case, is 1.5m of code 4. I would tend to use code 6 for a quality job. But in any event if its fitted badly it don't realy matter. Useful reference from the lead developement association book.

You will need to split it into 2 bays with a roll. Could be done in code 5 but 6 will be better.
You can get advice from the LSA.

If you have never done this before get someone to do it. It will look better and be done right;)

It is not as easy as it looks.

Have you thought about the prep: Good firm 3/4" Ply base and should also be lined with Erskin felt before the lead gets laid.

might give it a go. if not at least i am geting the know how. How would you overlap the lead,or is there a particular joint you would use ? and would you use sealant? many thanks for all the replys so far. cant have enough knowledge :)

If you need to join on the flat. Normaly use a lead roll for the overlap. This is a very skilled to get a good job. Normaly its the back and front which is the difficult bit because they need to be properly dressed with out thinning the lead.

It is done with a wood cored roll like this
wood cored roll.JPG

It is not an easy thing to do. If it is done badly it will need done again in a few years if you are lucky.
Sealants are not used. Normally the underlay is now geotex.

Proper lead rolls are formed by 2" Round to Oval profile of timber with flate base. You take your bottom lap over the top a about 1" down the other side. Your top lap goes right the way over and out on the flat the other side about 2".

sopleyChurch-lead-big.jpg

Last edited:
Hi tamz it is a curved bay window, so if you used the wood roll to form the lead, i assume you would have to weld a bit on the front of the roll ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to lead work help ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock